*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Deliciously sweet and moist Lemon & Blueberry Cupcakes with a blueberry dotted lemon sponge, blueberry coulis buttercream and more!
So the weather is getting slightly warmer and I am absolutely loving it… even if it is just April and some places could even get more snow knowing our luck. However, I am craving all things fruit now because of it.
I am obviously always in love with anything lemon… lemon and raspberry.. lemon white chocolate etc! However, lemon and blueberry is such a classic combination. I LOVE IT SO MUCH I JUST CAN’T COPE.
Lemon brings a sweet and sour ness to the table, and blueberries are just utterly delicious. Sometimes, don’t get me wrong… they can suck. They can be tasteless. But I find when you bake with them, they are insane!
I have a lemon raspberry cupcake recipe already on my blog which I do love – but I decided to jazz it up a bit for this lemon & blueberry cupcakes recipe. I went all out, and even made homemade coulis for this beauty of a recipe!
I have so many other delicious lemon & blueberry recipes on this blog already.. such as my lemon & blueberry rolls, and my lemon & blueberry cheesecake and even my lemon and blueberry cake! But these cupcakes? amazing.
I used a lemon cupcake recipe which is a standard sponge of equal parts butter, sugar, self raising flour and eggs. I tend to use medium eggs in my baking these days – if you use large however, you want to use 175g of the other ingredients.
I add in lemon zest to flavour them, and then also the fresh blueberries! You can use frozen however for the cupcakes and coulis. For the coulis I do also use a bit of lemon juice instead of water and it goes so well!
For the buttercream you want to use BLOCK BUTTER. As you are adding a reasonable amount of liquid from the coulis you do NOT want to use a baking spread of margarine for the buttercream as it won’t hold up!
I add an extra drizzle of coulis to the top of the cupcake for decoration, as it looks so pretty! There will be some leftover, but it lasts 5-7 days in the fridge once made. I do also blend and sieve my coulis for best results!
Lemon & Blueberry Cupcakes!
- 150 g Unsalted butter/stork
- 150 g Caster sugar
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 150 g Self raising flour
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 100 g Blueberries
- 200 g Blueberries
- 25 g Caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 150 g Unsalted Butter (room temp)
- 350 g Icing Sugar
- 3-4 tbsp Blueberry coulis (recipe above)
- Blueberry coulis (recipe above)
- Lemon zest
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160CFan and line a 12 hole muffin tray with large cupcake cases or put 12 Iced Jems baking cups onto a flat tray!
- Cream together the unsalted butter and caster sugar until light & fluffy and smooth
- Add in the eggs, self raising flour and lemon zest and beat again for about about 20-30 seconds until smooth!
- Fold through the blueberries!
- Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes or until baked through! Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Whilst the cupcakes are baking add the blueberries, lemon juice and caster sugar to a small pan and heat on a low heat, mashing the blueberries with a fork whilst it heats.
- Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes until it becomes alot softer.
- Blend the mixture until smooth and pass through a sieve - let it cool fully.
- Beat the room temperature unsalted butter until smooth – this can take a couple of minutes. Add in the Icing Sugar 1/3 at a time, making sure the sugar is fully incorporated until moving on!
- Gradually add in the coulis one spoonful at a time - you don't want to add too much too quick as it can soften the buttercream (make sure to use block butter as well, and NOT a spread of any kind)
- Add the buttercream to a piping bag and swirl onto the cupcakes.
- Drizzle on another spoonful of coulis per cupcake
- Add on some fresh blueberries and a sprinkle of lemon zest!
- YOU MUST USE ACTUAL BUTTER FOR BUTTERCREAM – I can’t stress this enough. Do not use a baking spread/margarine.
- I buy my Cupcakes Cases/Baking Cups from Iced Jems – here!
- These lemon and blueberry cupcakes will last in an airtight container for 3 days at room temperature!
- The blueberries can be swapped for another berry such as raspberry, strawberry etc in the cakes/coulis/decor!
- Leftover blueberry coulis can be stored in the fridge for 5-7 days.
Find my other Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.