*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Lemon Cupcakes with a Raspberry Jam Centre, and Swirled Lemon & Raspberry Buttercream. My new favourite Summery Lemon and Raspberry Cupcakes!
So recently I was asked to bake a few cupcakes for work, and I was a little stuck for ideas. It seems ironic, as I have so many on my blog… but I just couldn’t decide what flavours to bake! I knew I wanted to do Chocolate, and Caramel, but I wanted something fruity and ohmydays I just couldn’t work it out. When I was buying the ingredients, I bought lemons as I thought lemon would be the best choice (if potentially boring to some) but when I strolled past the Freeze Dried Raspberries, I thought… YES. yesssssss. Lemon AND Raspberry Cupcakes!
I am questioning to myself why I have never thought to do these before, because I have regularly made cake versions, or loaf cake versions, but honestly… one of my new favourite cupcake flavours now exist in my world.
I decided to bake a Lemon Cupcake, with a Raspberry Jam centre because I didn’t want to faff about making different flavoured sponges. Also, I love Lemon Cake. However, I did decide that swirling together Raspberry Buttercream with Lemon Buttercream would give it the show it needed, along with representing that its double flavoured.
Sprinkling on some Freeze Dried Raspberries is just a must for me as they look so god damn pretty, but you can easily decorate with fresh raspberries instead. Anything Raspberry is good my books because I love them oodles amounts.
Combining Lemon with other fruits is always delicious, such as with my Lemon & Blueberry Sweet Rolls. However, in Cake form, it is just that much better. It’s so fresh, and somehow you feel less guilty about eating cake when its so fruity.
My White Chocolate & Raspberry Blondies is a good alternative if you’re craving something Raspberry like with chocolate… but honestly, these lemon and raspberry cupcakes are so delicious you will LOVE them! Enjoy! x
Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes!
- 150 g Unsalted Butter/Stork
- 150 g Caster Sugar
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 150 g Self Raising Flour
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 150 g Unsalted Butter (room temp)
- 350 g Icing Sugar
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Raspberry Jam
- Pink Food Colouring
- Raspberry Jam
- Freeze Dried Raspberries
- Preheat your oven to 170C/160CFan and Line a 12 Hole Muffin Tray with Large Cupcake Cases/Muffin Cases or put 12 Iced Jems Baking Cups onto a flat tray!
- Cream together the Butter and Caster Sugar till light & fluffy and smooth – add in the Beaten Eggs, Self Raising Flour and Lemon Zest and beat again for about about 20-30 seconds on a Medium Speed – it really doesn’t take too long, you don’t want to overdo it!
- Spoon you cupcake mix into your Iced Jems Baking Cups and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through! Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Once the cakes are cool, make the buttercream frosting – beat the softened Butter until smooth – this can take a couple of minutes. Add in the Icing Sugar 1/3 at a time, making sure the sugar is fully incorporated until moving on!
- Once all of the Sugar is in the mix, split it between two bowls. Add the Lemon Juice to one, and beat. Add the Raspberry Jam, and a little pink food colouring to the other and beat.
- Once both buttercreams are combined, add them both to a piping bag (with each flavour on one side) or add them to two smaller piping bags, and then add that to a larger one.
- Hollow out some of the cupcake, like you would for a Butterfly Cupcake, and then spoon in a little Raspberry Jam. Using a 2D Closed Star Piping Tip, pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes, ontop of the jam.
- Decorate your cupcakes how you like – I use Sprinkles, freeze dried Raspberries which I found in Waitrose, and a fresh raspberry – ENJOY!
- YOU MUST USE ACTUAL BUTTER FOR BUTTERCREAM – I can’t stress this enough. I get comments often about ‘why is my buttercream so runny’ and 9/10 times its because the incorrect butter was used. You can’t use stork, or a spread, or a substitute for buttercream.
- I buy my Cupcakes Cases/Baking Cups from Iced Jems – here!
- These lemon and raspberry cupcakes will last in an airtight container for 3 days at room temperature!
Find my other Cupcake Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.