*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Deliciously Sweet, Soft and Zingy Lemon & Blueberry Sweet Rolls just like you get in a Bakery!
Ever since the sudden rise of the Cinnamon Bun I have been baking and baking new and different Sweet Rolls due to popular demand amongst my family and friends – I have so many recipes that I can’t wait to share with you such as Chocolate Sweet Rolls and even more! These are incredibly easy to make – I can see why people may be scared by even the rolling out of the dough, but its so easy you’d be surprised!
Following my method (and others of course) correctly and weighing out the ingredients correctly then you won’t have an issue! You won’t regret the wait of the bread rising, at first it might seem like a pain and pointless, but its so worth it! Also, you get 12 whereas it probably costs the same for 2 at a bakery!
This recipe makes 12 delicious buns!
– 600g Strong White Bread Flour, plus extra for dusting
– 14g Dried Yeast
– 75g caster sugar
– 90g Unsalted Butter
– Zest of 2 lemons
– 275ml Milk, I use full fat but you can easily use semi skimmed!
– 1 Large Egg
– 45g Butter, Melted
– 150g Caster Sugar
– Zest of 2 lemons
– Seeds of 1/2 Vanilla Pod
– 225g Blueberries
– 200g Icing Sugar
– 1 tbsp lemon juice
– 1 tbsp water
1) Sift the flour into a large bowl, and add the caster sugar and yeast. Mix so they are all even distributed! Rub the butter into the mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs – Like when making scones! (If you’re feeling lazy, then whizz these ingredients in a food processor until breadcrumbs)
2) Zest the two lemons and add to the dry mixture.
3) Heat the milk gently until warm, it should just about start steaming in the pan – mix the milk and the egg into dough and mix/knead for 7-10 minutes. I use my KitchenAid with the dough hook, it only takes 5-7 minutes to knead! It should spring back when touched (Like a cake does when cooked!)
4) Move to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm – leave in a warm place and leave to rise for 1-2 hours (I made these on a relatively chilly day so it took the full two hours)
5) Whilst the bread is proving you can make the lemon sugar – zest the two lemons and mix this, along with the caster sugar and vanilla pod seeds until a sand like texture is formed. Leave to the side.
6) Once risen, remove the dough from the bowl and roll out onto a lightly floured work surface. I rolled mine to 50cmX30cm. (20″X12″)
7) Gently brush the surface with the melted butter, then sprinkle on the Lemon Sugar, sprinkle on the blueberries so they are even across the dough. Roll from the long side to the long side (so that a 50cm sausage is formed, you roll the 30cm length) Cut this into 12 pieces and place into an oven proof dish. I used a rectangular dish 30cmX24cm (12″X9.5″)
8) Cover again and leave to rise for 1 hour – towards the end of the hour heat the oven to 180C – Once the hour is up, bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top and cooked through! Leave to cool.
9) Once basically cooled, Mixing the Icing ingredients together and drizzle onto the Sweet Buns. Enjoy!
Tips and Ideas
This recipe is inspired by many different I have tried and read over time, I’ve been baking these for a few years now so they have been tried and tested many a time!
You don’t have to include the blueberries into the rolls, but I love the Lemon & Blueberry combination – You could swap it out for another berry, but remember that some berries produce more water than others!
If you are using frozen fruit then put them in still frozen, thawing them might make them produce too much liquid, but if you do thaw them then make sure they’re dry before they’re put into the dough!
These are best eaten on the day of baking, but they will last covered in the fridge for 3 days – or covered overnight at room temperature!
P.s. These are the perfect fruity sweet breakfast treats, if you can wait for the bread to prove!
Find my other Bread/Breakfast recipes on my Recipes Page!