A Chocolate Sponge with a biscuit base, topped with a Marshmallow Buttercream, Toasted Marshmallows, Melted Chocolate, and Crushed Biscuits = Campfire style Cupcakes!
Back in the beginning of February this year I posted a recipe for my Marshmallow Cupcakes (originally named S’mores Cupcakes) and they are seriously delicious – all of the s’mores goodness shoved into a cupcake. However, these weren’t decorated and I had had sooo many requests for a ‘next level’ S’mores Cupcake that I simply had to oblige! (I was also baking them for a birthday, but, ya’noo..)
I tried to make these as S’mores-y as I could considering I’m from Hampshire in the United Kingdom, so you don’t find S’mores themed stuff here often! Such as having to explain what S’mores are to several people, and them realising what they have been missing out on! I don’t have access to Graham Crackers so I substitute for a British Classic – Digestives – but I hope everything else is suitable for the theme!
I LOVE Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting for a start, its f****** delicious. And that deserved that word. I have made it for about 2 years+ on various cupcakes and flavour ideas, but for S’mores it seems most appropriate. It is seriously so delicious. I couldn’t stop eating it with a spoon when I first made it, and I still struggle with this now – like literally.
The base of the Cupcake has a hidden layer of crushed biscuits, to give it a more authentic feel, then its topped with a gooey fudgey chocolate Cupcake. I top my Buttercream with some toasted mini marshmallows as I love the taste of the toasty parts – but this often leads to a few burnt Marshmallows, and the occasional one getting caught on fire if I use a Blowtorch. My bad.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
This recipe makes 12 Cupcakes!
– 4-5 Digestives/Graham Crackers crushed
– 150g Butter
– 150g Caster Sugar
– 120g Self-Raising Flour
– 30g Cocoa Powder
– 3 Medium Eggs
– 1-2tbsp Whole Milk
Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
– 175g Butter
– 400g Icing Sugar
– 1tsp Vanilla Bean Extract
– 1x 214g Tub Vanilla Marshmallow Fluff
– 1-2tbsp Whole Milk
– 50g Mini Marshmallows
– 2 Digestives/Graham Crackers crushed
– 50g Melted Chocolate
1) For the Cupcakes – Preheat your oven to 180C/160CFan and line a Muffin tray with 12 Muffin Cases.
2) Put a heaped teaspoon of crushed biscuits into the bottom of each case and flatten with the back of the spoon, leave to the side.
3) Cream together the Butter and sugar until light and fluffy – I beat mine for a couple of minutes so its super creamy. Beat in the self-raising flour, cocoa powder and eggs until smooth, try not too over-mix though! If its too thick, add a dash of milk until you get the correct consistency.
4) Spoon into the cases on top of the biscuits and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through. Leave to cool on the side.
5) For the Buttercream – Beat the Butter with an electric whisk until smooth (I use my KitchenAid!) Gradually add the icing sugar until all is combined. Add the Vanilla and beat for 3-4 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
6) Add all of the Marshmallow Fluff that you can from the tub and beat the Buttercream again for 3-4 minutes. If its too stiff or not combining very well then add the touch of milk!
7) To Decorate the Cupcakes – Pipe your Frosting onto the cupcakes however you fancy (I used a Wilton 1M tip!) and decorate. I toasted some mini Marshmallows under the grill in my oven for 20 seconds (be careful, it doesn’t take long!) and add them to the cupcakes, along with some crushed biscuits, and melted dark chocolate!
Tips and Ideas
I based my Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting recipe on a recipe I found from ‘How Sweet It Is’ here. (and changed to Metric measurements!)
The Chocolate cupcake is based on my recipe for my Chocolate Cupcakes 🙂
I keep my Cupcakes in the fridge when its Spring/Summer time, but they will last in an airtight container in or out of the fridge for 3-4 days (if they last that long!)
Find my other Cupcake recipes on my Recipes Page!