*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Gooey chocolate chip cookie, gooey vanilla marshmallow, make THE most delicious s’mores cookie bars ever!
S’mores cookie bars
Ohhh so like.. yeah. Cookie bars happened again! I honestly couldn’t resist. I’ve actually baked these beauties several times, getting them slightly more perfect each time. I tried these in quite a few different ways, and honestly, this one stuck.
How could you not love marshmallow and cookies together?! If you like s’mores then you will love these. Honestly… biscuit, marshmallow, and chocolate together is heaven. You can also try these guys warmed a little for ultimate s’mores experience!
So imagine a gooey, chocolatey cookie together with gooey marshmallow. MY IDEA OF HEAVEN!! These would suit being more towards Halloween and bonfire night, but I just couldn’t resist posting them now.
Other S’mores recipes
It’s hard to explain sometimes, but the marshmallow fluff makes the cookies gooier, and stops them drying out like the Rolo cookie bars do. The Mini Egg cookie bars can often dry out a lot more as there isn’t anything in there to keep them very gooey, so the marshmallow fluff is a dream.
I love anything s’mores as I have said, but these are just DELIGHTFUL. You need to split the cookie dough into two sections… two thirds and one third.It can be a little bit faffy, but you need to press down the first lot of cookie dough so its even (often easier to use your hands) and then spread the marshmallow fluff on top.
The problem is, marshmallow fluff is so sticky, its easier to microwave it for 20 seconds so its spreadable! Then comes the problem of putting the next third of cookie dough on.
You can use any chocolate in the cookie bars, I just thought dark chocolate would be a great fit for this recipe! I wouldn’t recommend using actual marshmallows for these though as they will just boil and disappear – nobody wants to look forward to these and them see no marshmallow goodness as the end of it!
I rolled mine out onto some clingfilm, so that I could turn the layer onto the marshmallow fluff evenly! It’s awkward, but SO WORTH IT. If in doubt, blob bits of cookie dough all over the marshmallow fluff. Enjoy!
S'mores Cookie Bars
- 275 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 115 g unsalted butter
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 300 g milk/dark chocolate
- 1x tub marshmallow fluff
- Preheat your oven to 190C/170C Fan and line a 9x9inch square tin with parchment paper, and leave to the side for now.
- Whisk/Mix the plain flour, bicarbonate, salt and cornflour together so its evenly distributed – leave to the side.
- In a larger bowl, melt the butter. Add in the two sugars, and whisk for about 2 minutes so the sugar starts to dissolve and the mixture is smooth. Add in the egg and the vanilla, and whisk again briefly until smooth. (I used an electric whisk)
- Add in the dry Ingredients, and mix until a cookie dough is formed. Add in the chocolate chips and mix with a spatula until they’re spread through the cookie dough evenly.
- Press two thirds of the the mixture into the bottom of the tin. Microwave the marshmallow fluff for 20-30 seconds and spread over the cookie dough.
- Spread/cover the marshmallow fluff layer in the other third of the cookie dough. It might be hard to spread it, so I rolled it out onto some cling film, and then turned it onto the marshmallow layer to make it even. Bake the traybake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the top of the cookie bake looks ‘dry’!
- Leave the cookie bake to cool for about 10 minutes, then leave to cool fully on a wire rack. Cut the bake into 4×4 for decent sizes, or 5×5 for smaller ones! Enjoy!
- If you try to use actual marshmallows, they will boil and basically disappear into the cookie bars. Marshmallow fluff is usually found in the supermarkets near the Nutellas and jams etc, and its quite commonly available!
- These delicious beings will last in an airtight container for up to 4 days, but honestly, they’ll be eaten before then.
- You can use whatever chocolate you want in the middle – but I used dark chocolate chips. Milk or white work well, or even a flavoured chocolate!
- Try microwaving them when they’ve cooled if you want a gooey cookie, or even add a scoop of ice cream!
- This post was not inspired by anyone in particular – but I took inspiration from photos on Pinterest/Instagram and just has a go at it!
Find my other recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.