*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Simple yet delicious and gooey marshmallow cupcakes – the perfect afternoon treat or a delicious staple everyone needs to have at a summer BBQ!
Oh. My. I have always thought that toasting marshmallows over a fire is a wonderful and cute thing to do, whether its with friends, family, or your other half. S’mores, make that even better with a delicious mix of wafer/biscuit with chocolate and marshmallow – I don’t mean to insult you if you know what s’mores are, but I’m sure some are yet to discover this almighty treat!
I had the idea to create this all in a baked and cakey treat to enjoy it even more, and also when there are no open flames available… This recipe is so easy and gooey and perfect that it doesn’t even need any decoration! You can just leave the cupcakes plain if you prefer.
I decided a chocolate cupcake would be best with these beauties as I love the flavour it brings with the marshmallow. It also gives a great contrasting decoration to the buttercream frosting I decided to add to mine for more marshmallow themed goodness!
Its a simple chocolate cupcake recipe I use a lot and the slight hint of caramel flavour the light brown sugar gives the sponge is just PERFECT! I used some normal baking cases for this recipe however you can use a different colour or even baking cups if you prefer – I just used what I had in the drawer!
Buttercream Frosting and decoration
I will admit – this buttercream frosting is heaven and ever so addictive! Its a simple vanilla buttercream with the addition of marshmallow fluff – how could I not add it in this recipe?! It fits with my theme well, its light and fluffy and it compliments the chocolate cupcakes beautifully!
If you wanted to add even more chocolate to your cupcakes, simply melt some chocolate and drizzle over the top! You can use milk, dark or white chocolate – I would personally stick to milk or dark as I think it marries better with the buttercream frosting.
Tips and related recipes
For this recipe, I used;
For more marshmallow goodness, there are tonnes of recipes on my blog, some go un noticed and really shouldn’t. There are the obvious marshmallow related recipes such as s’mores cookies, s’mores cookie bars and s’mores cupcakes but rocky road is one of my favourite and all my rocky recipes contain marshmallow!! ENJOY!
- 175 g unsalted butter/baking spread
- 175 g light brown soft sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 135 g self raising flour
- 40 g cocoa powder
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 400 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 214 g vanilla marshmallow fluff one tub
- Mini marshmallows
- Heat your oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan and line two cupcake trays with cases
- Beat the unsalted butter with the light brown sugar until light and fluffy
- Combine the eggs, flour, cocoa powder with the butter/sugar mix and mix until well combined
- If the mixture is too stiff you can add a little bit of milk at a time to get a smooth light consistency
- Spoon the mixture into the cases evenly and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes
- Leave to cool fully on a wire rack
- Beat the unsalted butter on its own with an electric whisk until smooth
- Gradually add the icing sugar until all is combined and then add the vanilla extract and beat for another 3-4 minutes until smooth and fluffy
- Add all of the marshmallow fluff that you can from the tub and beat the buttercream again for 3-4 minutes. If its too stiff or not combining very well then add the touch of milk!
- Transfer your marshmallow buttercream frosting to a large piping bag with your favourite piping tip (I use a 2D closed star piping tip!)
- Pipe a swirl onto each of your cupcakes and top with a marshmallow. I then added some mini marshmallows to the surrounding buttercream.
- I like to mix my cupcake batter in two stages, creaming the butter and sugar together and then mixing everything else in at once, personally I find it works for me best but you can break it down more if you liked.
- The original recipe is just for the cupcakes - they didn't have a marshmallow buttercream topping before the updated recipe!
- Original recipe
- Cupcakes: 120g unsalted butter, 120g caster sugar, 2 eggs, 75g self raising flour, 25g cocoa powder, 100g white chocolate chips, 50g mini marshmallows
- Method: Beat the caster sugar with the unsalted butter until light and fluffy. Combine the eggs, cocoa, flour, 75g chocolate chips and 40g mini marshmallows until well combined. Divide the mixture between your cupcake cases evenly and sprinkle on the leftover chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes on 180ºC/160ºC fan and leave to cool fully.
Find my other Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.