Rocky Road!

A Classic No-Bake Treat that everyone will enjoy – fill your Rocky Road with everything you love and ENJOY!

IMG_6765_1

Way back in May last year I posted my recipe for my Cornflake & Malteser Rocky Road – something I invented as a weird hybrid of Rocky Road, and my favourite quick and delicious treat, my Cornflake Cake! However, I have had many many requests for my recipe for a ‘Classic’ Rocky Road! I wouldn’t say that this is entirely classic as I add in Cadburys Crunchie Bars because they’re delicious and I am truly addicted to them.. but it has all the other bells and whistles of Chocolate, Syrup, Butter, Marshmallows and biscuits!

I know that Rocky Road is a classic treat in many coffee shops, in many bakeries, and in many homes.. but that hasn’t stopped SO many of you from asking for this recipe! For example, my boyfriends mum makes an AMAZING Rocky Road – but I like all rocky road… In mine, I now just use Gluten-Free Digestives so that I can enjoy it, and the Gluten-Free Digestives I use taste exactly like Hob-Nobs so its still scrumptious to me!

I obviously have an absolute addiction to No-Bake treats, as demonstrated by all of my Cheesecakes, but Traybakes and such are no different – they are SO easy to make and make life so much easier if you want to make something simple, and not worry about it. The only way it can go wrong is for the chocolate to split if you heat it too much – and even that is difficult to do!

This as I say is my personal recipe for Rocky Road – and I hope you all enjoy it!

This recipe makes 16 pieces of Rocky Road!

– 400g Milk/Dark Chocolate
– 125g Golden Syrup
– 125g Unsalted Butter
– 100g Mini Marshmallows
– 200g Digestives, chopped (or alternative – I used GF digestives!)
– 200g Cadburys Crunchie Bars, chopped

1) Line a 8/9″ Square tin with Parchment paper and leave to the side.

2) In a Large bowl, add in the Chocolate, Golden Syrup, and Butter – melt on a low heat over a Double Boiler, or in the Microwave on short bursts until fully melted – stir till smooth!

3) Once its melted and combined, add in the Marshmallows, chopped biscuits, and chopped Crunchie Bars – fold together – pour into the tin and spread till its even.

4) Refrigerate until set, chop up, and enjoy!

I really would recommend using just Milk or Dark Chocolate for this as it melts better than White Chocolate, and the White Chocolate might mix/split when mixing it with the Golden Syrup or Butter! I often use either Cadburys Milk Chocolate or Callebaut Milk Chocolate – I find the flavour works best and its delicious!

You can easily half the recipe for less, but these are so moreish you will want the large piece! Trust me!

Find my other Traybake & Chocolate Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• NIcola Hayes
    June 2, 2020 at 1:37 pm

Can you use all dark chocolate for the recipe? Also love a few cherries in rocky road so might have to add some in too haha! 🙂 x

June 2, 2020 at 2:09 pm

Yes you definitely can! I love it with all dark chocolate! And yessss do it!! x

• Harriet Jackson
    May 29, 2020 at 2:07 pm

Hi my mix keeps splitting, I am using cadbury chocolate and have tried it on lowest microwave heat and on double boiler on low heat, both times the mix feels cold to touch but has still split. Any idea why?

May 29, 2020 at 2:10 pm

Hey! That’s so odd – one good way of saving the mix is to take it off the heat, and stir in some full-fat milk, or cream or similar and mix until it comes back! The splitting can be caused by a few things such as water getting in the mix, or heat! You can also try adding the syrup and butter to a pan and melting together, and then adding in the chocolate off the heat (and finely chopped) and stiring till smooth!

• Claire
    November 25, 2019 at 10:50 pm

Please can you tell me where you get your gluten free digestive biscuits from

November 26, 2019 at 8:58 am

My personal favourites are Tesco’s own!

• Gaynor Morton
    March 24, 2019 at 8:15 am

I’m making this for a school fundraiser later this week. As much as my family would like to trough it now I need to store it for a few days. Would you keep it in the fridge. Just worried about crunchies as it says not to refrigerate

March 24, 2019 at 9:23 am

I think crunchie’s can’t go in the fridge as it can affect the honeycomb structure if that makes sense – but otherwise if its just for me, I still shove it in if its a hot day! You can leave it somewhere cool outside of the fridge though x

• Lyn
    February 7, 2019 at 8:17 am

Delicious! Can one perhaps freeze them?

• […] heaven – Rocky Road AND a no-bake chocolate cheesecake?! Literally just like wow. I have obviously done many a […]

• […] recipe is quite similar to my Rocky Road, but with a few little twists. I made it with a mixture of Milk and Dark chocolate to make it […]

• Easter Rocky Road! - Jane's Patisserie
    March 28, 2018 at 2:39 am

[…] I posted my normal Rocky Road recipe and my god you guys LOVE it! I just couldn’t cope with the amount of views and love […]

• Kirsty
    October 15, 2017 at 5:30 pm

I’ve tried to make this twice now, but my chocolate just keeps splitting ? Not sure what I’m doing wrong. I’m melting it in a double boiler on the lowest heat, stirring constantly. Last time, the chocolate started to split before it had even melted fully. It’s very frustrating!

October 15, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Ohh no! Sometimes it depends on the brand of chocolate. A different way of doing it is to melt the butter and syrup together and take it off the heat, and then add in the chocolate after. However, you can often still use the split chocolate as it should still set.

• Charlotte
    October 6, 2017 at 10:58 am

This is such a fabulous recipe!! Thank you for sharing. So quick & easy to make.

• Jane
    May 19, 2017 at 1:10 pm

I made this vegan using Bournville, Vitalite, vegan marshmallows and vegan crunchie, and McVities light digestives. Superb! Thank you!

• Claire
    April 4, 2017 at 9:33 pm

What can I say, Perfect as usual! The addition of crunchie bar is genuis. I did swap digestive for shortbread (Had a bit of an excess) but the taste is amazing, not too sweet like some recipes. 10/10.

• Rawan
    March 21, 2017 at 2:46 am

This sounds so yummy! I cannot wait to make them for Easter! I’m just wondering what do you exactly mean by golden syrup? I know maple syrup, corn syrup and the syrup to be added on Arabic sweets. What’s the golden one? Thanks!

March 21, 2017 at 9:51 am

In the UK we have ‘golden syrup’ which is golden syrup. It’s worth googling it to see if you have a suitable alternative.

• Joseph
      December 7, 2017 at 6:27 pm

Rawan, try the ethnic aisle in your supermarket. I believe Publix carries it. Alternatively you may find it on eBay or Amazon from a 3rd party seller.

• Lynne
    March 6, 2017 at 11:30 am

These look great, will be making these with my granddaughter tomorrow for her Girl Guides ? Thanks

• Stacey
    June 15, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Does it make any difference whether you use milk or dark chocolate?

June 15, 2016 at 4:46 pm

No, as I say in the post you can use Milk or Dark – its taste preference, it just won’t work with White.

• Stacey
      June 15, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Ah I see that now! I clearly looked straight past that part. Thanks for responding ?

June 15, 2016 at 5:55 pm

Hehe its okay! ?

• jj
    March 3, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Can i replace the golden syrup with light corn syrup? Thank you. I hope you can answer Im excited to try this recipe. Thanks again.

March 3, 2016 at 6:11 pm

I don’t see why not, but be careful – I would melt the mix in a double boiler not the microwave as I have no idea how corn syrup behaves.

• The Last Year | Rabbit & Roo
    January 16, 2016 at 12:38 am

[…] the recipe for the Rocky Road! Just done overheat your chocolate like I did 🙂 )  EB […]

• Emma
    January 15, 2016 at 9:10 am

I’ll have some mini marshmallows left over this weekend so I know what to do with them now ☺️

• Tracy