*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Pesto, cheese and tomato puff pastry tart – incredibly easy go-to dinner idea for families!
Pesto, cheese and tomato puff pastry tart
I will start off by saying that this recipe is SO delicious, and incredibly easy therefore how can it not be ideal for a quick dinner or lunch? Shop brought pastry, homemade pesto, juicy tomatoes and cheesy goodness – what more could you want?!
Pesto needs its own mention here because let’s be honest, it is sooo underrated! When you put pesto with cheese, it is simply stunning! I have a recipe for pesto cheese straws and I am constantly whipping up a batch of these as a weekend treat!
Its basically a puff pastry version of a pizza which is always good in my books. As much as I love and adore homemade pizza with fresh dough, this makes it so much easier if you don’t have time to sort out dough, or you don’t want a shop bought pizza!
The flaky puff pastry married with the pesto and cheese makes this tart so tasty and the ratio of topping to pastry is just perfect – I just love it! With the tomatoes then spread on top, you get all flavours in each mouthful – you will find it hard to just have one slice!
When making this I nearly always use pre-made puff pastry as it isn’t worth making your own (unless of course you want too, then go ahead!) as it’s such a quick dish! It’s perfect for a lunch in the garden, or its easy to have as a ‘lunch on the go’!
I love cooking quick and savoury dishes for my family, especially on a sunny afternoon when I don’t want to be stuck in the kitchen for too long! The fresh tomatoes give the dish the perfect amount of moisture.
This recipe might come as a shock – people forget I also bake savoury! There are lots of savoury recipes on my website to check out. My favourites will have to be the mini party sausage rolls or my delicious garlic bread rolls – yes please!
I love to serve this tart with a fresh salad, and with a light homemade dressing – perfect light dinner on a summers evening or a perfect sandwich alternative to liven up lunchtime!
Pesto, Cheese and Tomato Puff Pastry Tart!
- 1 pack puff pastry ready rolled is easier
- 2 tbsp tomato purree
- 2 - 3 tbsp green pesto
- 150 g mature cheddar cheese grated
- 25 g parmesan cheese
- 150 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 3 handfuls basil leaves
- 1 handful pine nuts
- 1 handful of grated parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200C/180C fan and line a large baking tray with parchment paper
- Unroll the pastry sheet onto the baking tray and lie it down flat leaving an inch gap around the edge
- Spread the tomato puree onto the pastry sheet as evenly as possible
- If you're making your own pesto, simple blitz the basil, pine nuts and parmesan cheese in a food processor until fine
- Pour in a few tablespoons of oil to get the consistency you want - I keep mine quite stiff!
- Flavour with salt and pepper as you please
- Dollop on the pesto, and sprinkle over the grated cheddar and parmesan
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked through and golden
- You can easily leave out the tomato puree, but I loved the added tomato flavour!
- You can also use other vegetables or your favourite things for example - I add in olives for my family as they love them.
- This is best served fresh and straight out of the oven, but will keep covered in the fridge over night!
Find my other recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.