*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Perfect Spicy & Moist Pumpkin Cupcakes to celebrate the Halloween Season with – oh & not forgetting some Delicious Creamy Cream Cheese Frosting!
So everyone loves Carrot Cake right? I know you guys do after the success of my Carrot & Walnut Cupcakes recipe that has been on since March! Crazy. Anyway, to make things more seasonal and delicious I decided to play on the idea of Carrot cake and these beauties were made! 🙂 the principle is the same, and if you are really not a Pumpkin fan, you can use Butternut Squash instead – its so versatile and delicious!
Last week I posted my recipes for my Halloween Macarons and my Halloween Bark and you guys all seem to love the Halloween vibe coming from my blog – so I’ll stick with it for now! One thing however that I know you have all been wanting for along time is a Cream Cheese Frosting recipe.. and here it is AS WELL! Two delicious recipes in one go!
The spices in the Cupcake mix are similar to a Carrot Cake, but has the little differences so that it suits the sweetness of the Pumpkin perfectly – the Sultanas make the cupcakes moist, and the Walnuts give it the crunch you crave – so either one you choose you will love it! The Orange brings out a moist and citrusy flavour the matches amazingly with the whole lot of flavouring offered that you will just love these cupcakes – especially if you love Cream Cheese Frosting – they’re PERFECT.
By the way…I found these lovely little Halloween Sprinkles when I was at the Cake & Bake Show this year and I couldn’t resist them – little orange balls, mini bats & ghosts, and all things halloween! They’re so cute! I am happy that Halloween is being included alot more these past few years in baking and cooking – there used to be basically nothing, but now every single food store I go in has something to offer and its amazing!
This recipe makes 12-15 Cupcakes!
– 175g Self Raising Flour
– 175g Light Brown Sugar
– 1tsp Mixed Spice
– 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
– 1/4tsp Salt
– Zest of 1/2 an Orange
– 2 Large Eggs, Beaten
– 100g Butter, Melted
– 1tbsp Fresh Orange Juice
– 100g Sultanas/Chopped Walnuts (Or 50g of both!)
– 250g Pumpkin/Butternut Squash, grated
Cream Cheese Frosting
– 100g Butter, room temperature
– 300g Icing Sugar
– 2-3tbsp Whole Milk/Double Cream
– 150g Full-Fat Cream Cheese
1) To make the Pumpkin Cupcakes – Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan, and line a muffin tray with Large Cupcake cases or Muffin cases! Prep your Pumpkin (Or butternut squash) by peeling the vegetable, scraping out the seeds & stringy bits and then grating the flesh (like you would for a carrot cake) Squeeze the Grated Pumpkin with a towel so that a lot of the moisture comes out of the pumpkin – it releases a lot of water when baking and this will make it bake weirdly if you don’t squeeze some of it out!
2) In a large bowl, mix together the Flour, Brown Sugar, Mixed Spice, Bicarbonate, Salt, and Orange zest!
3) In a separate bowl, quickly whisk together the eggs, melted butter, and orange juice – pour this into the dry mix and fold together till combined well. Add in the Sultanas or Chopped walnuts, and then the Grated Pumpkin (Or butternut squash) and mix so its all even (try not to overmix!)
4) Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases (I use a cookie scoop to make it even) and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes (check at 22-25 minutes with a skewer and if it comes out clean they’re done – just like a cake!) Leave to cool fully on the side.
5) To make the Cream Cheese Frosting – With a stand mixer, beat the butter for a couple of minutes so its really supple and smooth – gradually add in the Icing Sugar, and the Milk so that its a smooth buttercream.
6) Loosen the cream cheese slightly with a spoon then add to the buttercream – whisk for a couple of minutes on a medium speed so that its smooth and creamy!
7) Pipe your Frosting onto your cupcakes and sprinkle with some Halloween Sprinkles! Enjoy!
Tips and Ideas
You can use a regular buttercream for the topping if you wish – but I find the Cream Cheese flavour works really well with the Pumpkin/Squash flavour.
If you are not a fan of pumpkin, then the Butternut Squash will work out perfectly – the two are really interchangeable with each other so baking wise it doesn’t make any difference – but it is VERY important to squeeze out any excess water before baking otherwise the sponge might not bake or will take a very long time!
Be careful when making the Cream Cheese Frosting that you don’t beat it too quickly, otherwise you will over mix it and the mixture might split or be runny – don’t whisk it too quick!
These cupcakes will last in the fridge for 3 days, remove 30 minutes before eating so they’re the perfect temperature!
You can find my other Cupcake & Halloween Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.