January 22, 2016
Giant Skillet Brownie!
*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
A giant triple chocolate brownie baked in a skillet – drizzled with chocolate, and topped with ice cream!
When I posted my delicious recipe for my chocolate chip skillet cookie it’s been a massive hit ever since – how can anyone not love a GIANT cookie that you can devour for yourself?!
So… why not try it as a brownie?! Why not bake a giant brownie that you serve warm, drizzle with a sauce and topped with ice cream. Warm, gooey, delicious and SO CHOCOLATEY.
But anyway… this led me to post this recipe. I have always loved baking in a skillet, but a brownie in a skillet is just delicious! Like, I’d eat it all to myself with a spoon happily.
If you don’t have a skillet its not a problem, you can use a normal frying pan (if it has no plastic on it as it might melt) but if you can invest in a skillet I would – they’re delicious and perfect for sweet and savoury bakes!
You can also use a ceramic style pie dish really easily, and just serve it straight away like this skillet!
You guys LOOOVE my regular triple chocolate brownies recipe, and this is essentially the skillet version. The recipe basics are the same because they are perfect, delicious and super chocolatey.
It’s so important to use DARK chocolate when making the brownie base – it just makes it taste so much better, bake better, and just be so fudgey and glorious. I always recommend 70%+ cocoa content, for best results.
I always find it best to melt the dark chocolate and butter together and let that cool. Whisk the eggs and sugar together to a light mousse texture that leaves a trail when you lift the whisk out, and then fold everything together.
I use milk and white chocolate chips to make everything more ‘triple chocolate’ like, but you can obviously use whatever flavour chocolate chips you like.
I decided with my brownie that I would dollop on some yummy Ice-Cream and cover it in melted chocolate – to make it a brownie lovers absolute dream.
I must admit, it was DELICIOUS. My No-Churn Salted Caramel Ice-Cream, No-Churn Biscoff Ice-Cream, or my No-Churn Mint Chocolate Ice-Cream however would be the perfect and easy no-churn ice-cream to make at home to marry with the Brownie however!
Tips and Tricks
This brownie can be made and just treated as a normal brownie, or you can bake it and enjoy it easily around the table with your friends and family – the possibilities are endless, and all equally as delicious.
I recommend using:
Giant Skillet Brownie
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 275 g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 100 g plain flour
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 150 g white chocolate chips
- 150 g milk chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC/170ºC Fan and prep your 10″ cast iron skillet if need be. (I lightly grease mine.)
- Melt the unsalted butter and dark chocolate together until fully melted.
- Leave the dark chocolate and butter mixture to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the eggs and sugar to a bowl, and whisk for several minutes until doubled in sized, mousse like and the whisk leaves a trail in the mixture.
- Fold through the melted chocolate and butter mixture.
- Fold through the plain flour, cocoa powder, and sea salt.
- Then, evenly fold through the chocolate chips.
- Pour into your prepared skillet, smooth over, and bake for 28-32 minutes (Mine took 30 minutes).
- Insert a skewer into the brownie to check it - it should have a couple of crumbs/gooey bits on it so its still slightly gooey, but it shouldn't be covered!
- Remove the brownie from the oven CAREFULLY as the skillet will be EXTREMELY hot!
- Leave to cool slightly - If serving immediately, dollop over some ice cream of your choice (I used salted caramel Ice cream) and drizzle with melted chocolate! Enjoy!
- As its a brownie, I used all white chocolate chips as they're my favourite. I wouldn’t use more than 300g as it might not bake properly - but you can use a mixture of chocolate chips if you like!
- The Ice-Cream and the chocolate on top isn't essential to the recipe, and its up to you how much you use - I just think its oooey-gooey perfection!
- I used this Dark Chocolate
- I used this white chocolate
- I used this cocoa powder
- This recipe was update in July 2022, the original recipe was: 150g butter, 250g dark chocolate, 200g caster sugar, 4 medium eggs, 90g plain flour, 30g cocoa powder, 250g white chocolate chips
Find my other recipes on my Recipes Page!
You can find me on:
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Is it possible to use Individual ramekins instead? If so what would the cooking time be?
Hiya! Take a look at my microwave brownies for two recipe, hope this helps! x
How could you adjust the recipe to make this in a 9 inch square tin?
I would just stick to the Triple Chocolate Brownies!
Jane this looks so divine!! I didn’t think anything could be better than a skillet cookie dough dessert but you’ve convinced me! ?
Haha yes, I love them all – they’re just so delicious!