*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Triple chocolate cupcakes with a double chocolate cupcake sponge, double chocolate frosting and more.. utterly irresistible!
When you think of triple chocolate, you should understandably think of dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and white chocolate all combined in some form or another, and these triple chocolate cupcakes really are going to give you that.
I feel like triple chocolate cupcakes are such an iconic bake that it would have been rude not to give you my version… and just look at them! I tried to fit in as much as chocolate as I possibly could, so you could potentially argue these are quadruple chocolate… but we move.
For the cupcakes I decided to use a melted milk chocolate AND cocoa powder based chocolate sponge (could the cocoa powder be the fourth chocolate form?!) because I really did just want to smack the chocolate flavour straight away. Not only did it use both of these, it also had milk chocolate chips added into the sponges.
I used my favourite as always dark chocolate cocoa powder in these cupcakes because its 100% and gives the most beautiful chocolate flavour, along with my favourite milk chocolate for the melted chocolate and the chips folded through. Adding in some chocolate chips just made them DELICIOUS.
For the frosting I decided on a standard American buttercream frosting because it’s just so easy to make – but to swap it up a bit I used two different melted chocolates added in for an extra flare! The buttercream always starts off the same with block unsalted butter and icing sugar, and then I used melted dark chocolate for one half, and melted white chocolate for the other.
Using the dual flavour and tonal buttercream just brings a bit more of a show stopping element to the cupcakes, and no-one is going to complain about even more chocolate right?! They are just SO good. You can of course switch up the chocolates to a dark chocolate sponge, or even a triple chocolate buttercream if you fancy.
Seriously, if you love chocolate then you will LOVE these. They are so addictive! You could even fill these with even more chocolate, like I have done in my millionaires cupcakes, or you could perhaps marble the sponge, like my marble cupcakes!
These cupcakes really are the cupcake version of my triple chocolate drip cake, and my triple chocolate cheesecake… and I think that’s the best thing ever. If you wanted a basic chocolate cupcake that uses one chocolate, you can still use this recipe, but just stick to the one chocolate and the same weights! Easy.
Recipe updated March 2022
Original cupcake recipe – 150g unsalted butter, 150g caster sugar, 3 medium eggs, 125g self raising flour, 25g cocoa powder, 1-3tbsp whole milk, 100g milk chocolate chips.
Original buttercream recipe – 125g unsalted butter, 250g icing sugar, 150g white chocolate, 1-3 tbsps whole milk and sprinkles.
Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
- 150 g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 150 g light brown soft sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 125 g self raising flour
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 150 g milk chocolate (melted)
- 100 g milk chocolate chips
- 125 g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 250 g icing sugar
- 75 g white chocolate
- 75 g dark chocolate
- triple chocolate sprinkles
- Heat your oven to 180ºC/160ºC Fan and line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 large cupcakes cases/muffin cases.
- Beat the unsalted butter with the light brown soft sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix the eggs, self raising flour, cocoa powder and melted milk chocolate with the butter/sugar mix until well combined. It won't take too long to mix!
- If the mixture is too stiff you can add a little bit of whole milk 1tbsp at a time to get a smooth light consistency (Full-fat will prevent the mix splitting).
- Add in the milk chocolate chips, and fold them though evenly.
- Spoon the mix into the cupcake cases evenly and bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes or until a skewer poked into one of the cakes comes out clean and they are springy to touch, then leave them to cool fully on a wire rack.
- Melt the white chocolate and dark chocolate in separate bowls over a pan of simmering water, or in the microwave in short bursts and leave to cool on the side for 10 minutes.
- Beat the unsalted butter with an electric mixer for a couple of minutes to loosen it, then beat in the icing sugar until well combined (this can take up to 5 minutes).
- Split the mixture into two bowls, and add a melted chocolate to each bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the two buttercream to a large piping bag with your favourite piping tip - I get a large piece of clingfilm, add each flavour of buttercream in a line, roll the clingfilm up tightly to a sausage, snip off the end, then add this to the piping bag.
- Pipe the buttercream on to the cupcakes and decorate with some sprinkles.
- I used 100% cocoa powder, milk chocolate chips, and white and dark chocolate buttercream to get my triple chocolate fix, but you can of course use whatever cocoa powder you like, whatever dark/milk/white chocolate chips you like - and even a different chocolate in the frosting - but this combination is the ULTIMATE.
- These cupcakes will last in an airtight container for 3 days at room temperature, or you can freeze them for up to 3 months!
- I use this Cocoa Powder
- I use this Dark Chocolate
- I use this Milk Chocolate
- I use this White chocolate
- I get my cases from here - Iced Jems
Find my other recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.