Brookies!

A Delicious & Easy recipe for Brookies – Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer, with a Chocolate Chip Brownie Layer on top!

Recipe Updated September 2020

So I love Brownies, and I love Cookies.. so Brookies are just YES! Like oh my. I have made many a brownie recipe for this blog before, I have made several cookie recipes before – but I decided I would re-make and re-post this recipe for you all!

These treats are utterly indulgent and delicious – its a mix up of my two favourite snacks! I adore cookies (possibly too much) but this is just the ultimate. The cookie and brownie mixtures mashed up together is so yummy that I can’t stop eating them – not great for the diet. But heyyyyyy!

The chocolate chips make it fudgey and gooey and ideal for a treat – I tend to always use milk and white chocolate chips in my cookies and brownies, or all 3 types. The good thing is, you can use whatever flavour you want!!

When baking I recommend using dark chocolate that is 70% cocoa content or darker – and I tend to use 100% cocoa powder too. I find it deepens the flavour of the brownie or cookies to such a wonderful degree, so when you add in chocolate chips it gives the perfect sweetness.

You can of course just chop up some chocolate – you don’t have to buy actual chocolate chips. Personally I prefer smaller chunks of chocolate of chips as it means you get more bits per bite, whereas if you used large chunks of chocolate you may get a piece with barely any!! Kinda sad.

It may seem a little faffy to make them, but honestly it is not and it is worth it. The cookie recipe is basically a plain version of my Mini egg Cookie Bars – and it works a treat. The cornflour is in the recipe to create a DELICIOUS texture, but it is optional. You can use 25g more flour instead.

My Brownie layer in this is also a smaller version of my Triple Chocolate Brownies – as it is literally halved. I find using medium eggs is easier for this, as you often use 4 medium eggs in brownies, or 3 large, so using two medium makes more sense.

But seriously, these are delicious, and will help settle the battle of which to eat, cookies or brownies? Nah, just have Brookies. Always have both if you can have both.

This recipe was updated to just be a bit better – there aren’t major changes – but enough to warrant the change. It is now the same recipe as my Slutty Brownies, just without the oreos! All they are is the same with oreos added in anyway – so it made sense for the recipes to match.

I have however put the original ingredients list below if you wanted to make it – It followed the same method, it was just a slightly different recipe – so feel free to bake it if you liked it.

The original recipe before the update
The original cookie layer was – 115g Unsalted Butter, 50g Granulated Sugar, 75g Light Brown Sugar, 1 Large Egg, 1/2 tsp Vanilla Bean Extract, 125g Plain Flour, 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda, 1/2 tsp Baking Powder, 1/2 tsp Salt, 75g White Chocolate Chips, 75g Milk Chocolate Chunks

The original brownie layer was – 95g Dark Chocolate, 95g Unsalted Butter, 2 Large Eggs, 140g Caster Sugar, 50g Plain Flour, 20g Cocoa Powder, 50g White Chocolate Chips, 50g Milk Chocolate Chunks

I hope you love these delicious Brookies – any questions, leave them in the comments below! x

Brookies!

A delicious traybake of cookies and brownies in one!
4.5 from 4 votes

• 2 Medium Eggs
  • 140 g Caster Sugar
  • 50 g Plain Flour
  • 25 g Cocoa Powder
  • 150 g Milk Chocolate Chips

For the Cookie Layer

• Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy!
  • Add in the egg, and vanilla, and beat again till smooth.
  • Adding the flour, bicarbonate, salt and cornflour and beat until a cookie dough is formed!
  • Add in the chocolate chips, mix, and press into the bottom of a 9x9" Square Baking Tin, lined with parchment paper.
  • Freeze for 20 minutes!

For the Brownie Layer

• Preheat the oven to 180c/160C Fan.
  • Melt together your dark chocolate with your butter until smooth.
  • Whisk together the eggs and sugar into a thick mousse like mixture, and then fold through the melted chocolate mix.
  • Add in the flour, and cocoa powder, and fold through again.
  • Mix through the chocolate chips carefully and pour the batter onto the frozen cookie dough.
  • Bake the Brookies in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until baked through. Sometimes it can take a smidge longer! There should be a slight wobble to the mix.
  • Leave to cool in your tin for 10 minutes, and then carefully remove and finish cooling on a wire rack. If you want, you can then chill the bake in the fridge for 3 hours or so to help create the fudgey texture.
  • Cut up into your portions and enjoy!

• I think it's important to freeze the cookie dough, to help the brookies bake better. It is optional however! If you want, you can put the Cookie layer into the fridge for an hour instead of the freezer for 20 minutes!
  • The Cookie Layer is inspired by my Cookie bars, and the Brownie Layer is inspired by my Brownies
  • These will last for 4-5 days easily, if not longer if they aren't already eaten!
  • You can use whatever flavour chocolate chip you want!
Nutrition Facts
Sugar 30g33%
Protein 5g10%
Vitamin A 422IU8%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
Calcium 45mg5%
Iron 2mg11%
* These are only estimates and can vary dependant on brands of ingredients and serving sizes.

Find my other Traybake Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Sarah
    October 22, 2020 at 8:40 pm

Hey Jane,
    Planning to make these but I only have an 8 by 8” tin. Should i reduce the ingredients by an 1/8th or should i just go along with the original amount of ingredients?

Thanks x

October 22, 2020 at 8:48 pm

Volume wise the tin is actually about 1/5 smaller – so it would be best to reduce it if you can, or bake for longer and accept they may be a bit gooey in the middle haha!! x

• Imi
    October 22, 2020 at 10:15 am

Oh my goodness these are heaven!!! Literally so easy to make and so yummy!!

• Jacqueline
    October 13, 2020 at 9:15 pm

Great recipe idea. I Baked in an 8 inch pan for 40 minutes but the brownie was still a little raw in the middle. Is that normal? I think next time I’ll try not freezing the cookie dough. My oven, as far as other recipes go, appears to be perfect so I cant figure out what else might help it cook evenly

October 13, 2020 at 9:47 pm

It’s because you used a smaller tin than listed – the volume difference can cause a big problem. If you used the correct tin size it would be much better x

• Amrith
    October 13, 2020 at 8:54 pm

Just made these today, I’m not an avid baker but I had to make these lol.

I had an issue with my cookie dough not rising much, the brownie was perfect (according to my wife that is haha)

The cookie dough was quite flat, any idea what could be going wrong, I thought it could have been the tray I used… might be too big? I didn’t go out and buy a tray especially for this as wanted to keep costs low over this lockdown period lol, I had all the ingriedients in my pantry ☺️

October 13, 2020 at 9:04 pm

The cookie dough isn’t meant to rise much at all – so it’s probably just worked correctly, but if the tin was a different size, that could definitely change things!

• Jasmin
    October 2, 2020 at 8:18 pm

Just made these, and YUM, was just wondering if they Would freeze well once cooked? We love the lemon bars because we freeze them and have a constant stream of fresh bakes!

October 3, 2020 at 9:48 am

Yesss they can be!! So glad you like them!

• Beth
    September 30, 2020 at 10:37 am

I made these on Saturday and they were absolutely delicious! They might even be a new personal favourite! Just wondering, could you make these with a blondie layer on top instead and what measurementS would you recommend? Thank you x

• Leonie
    September 28, 2020 at 11:01 pm

Could I leave the cookie mix in the freezer over night and finish off tomorrow? Or would it be too frozen?

• Kay
    September 24, 2020 at 11:33 pm

I made these this evening, but my brownie layer just did not want to cook 😩 it ended up being in the oven for a long time which turned my cookie layer into more of a cakey layer. I mean they taste good but what am I doing wrong?

September 25, 2020 at 5:28 pm

Did you definitely use dark chocolate for the brownie mix – and then did you make sure you were careful when mixing it? Those two are very very key to it! x

• Sophie
    September 24, 2020 at 10:24 pm

Can these be made in a 7” tin? If so, do I halve the recipe? Does the baking time change?

September 25, 2020 at 5:29 pm

Yes – if you halve it it will take less time xx

• Siobhán
    September 16, 2020 at 5:25 pm

Just made these… they taste soooo good. The cookie recipe seemed to rise to and mix with the brownies. Don’t really mind too much cause the taste is AMAZING but have you any idea why this would happen?

September 16, 2020 at 7:11 pm

This can just happen sometimes – but it’s not a problem! xx

• Jennifer Challinor
    June 27, 2020 at 9:48 pm

I followed the recipe, but the cookie recipe rose to the top and didn’t cook after 40 mins (the brownie bit did). Didn’t stop us eating it as a pudding though 🙂

June 28, 2020 at 5:16 pm

Oh no! I’m glad they were yummy though – I will be updating this recipe soon, but my Slutty Brownies post is brookies with oreos in and is different so may be better for you!

• Sharon Woodhall
    February 19, 2020 at 6:06 pm

This is my second recipe of yours that I’ve tried and I’m so impressed how reliable they are. What always amuses me is that you give a shelf life on your recipes but they’re never around more than a day in our house! These turned out perfectly, and although I’m a bit of a brownie purist (if it ain’t broke) I will admit to enjoying these more than I wanted to. Thanks for sharing…now to choose what to bake next!

February 19, 2020 at 8:41 pm

Hahah I always have to put shelf lives juuuust in case – but they never last long for me either! So glad you liked them!

• Christine
    August 28, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Made these yesterday and they were delish!! Layers weren’t as defined but they still tasted amazing.

August 28, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Ohh I am so glad, Christine! Thank you for making them!!

• Denise Cobden
    April 28, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I made these today using Terrys chocolate Orange, Jane that’s your fault. They don’t have defined layers of cookies and brownies but if they taste great then hey ! so what. I haven’t tried them yet. I’ll try and upload a photo later

• Denise Cobden
      April 28, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Sorry didn’t mean to upload twice doh !

• Denise Cobden
    April 28, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Made these today, haven’t tasted them yet but they look delicious. Made mine with Terrys Choc Orange , Jane that’s your fault,. They took quite a while longer to cook, and I haven’t got a defined layer of cookie and brownie but hey if they taste ok I don’t mind. I’ll try and upload a photo later.

April 29, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Haha Terry’s is best!!

• Denise Cobden
      April 29, 2016 at 7:58 pm

They’ve all gone my husband took them to work and they didn’t last long at all !

May 2, 2016 at 9:10 am

Ahh amazing!!

• Adriana
    April 22, 2016 at 11:42 am

OMG… That’s all that comes to mind. I´m dying because I don’t have one right now. Amazing!

April 22, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Hahaha I wish I could send you some! Thank you!