Brookies!

A Delicious & Easy recipe for Brookies – Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer, with a Chocolate Chip Brownie Layer on top!

Recipe Updated September 2020

So I love Brownies, and I love Cookies.. so Brookies are just YES! Like oh my. I have made many a brownie recipe for this blog before, I have made several cookie recipes before – but I decided I would re-make and re-post this recipe for you all!

These treats are utterly indulgent and delicious – its a mix up of my two favourite snacks! I adore cookies (possibly too much) but this is just the ultimate. The cookie and brownie mixtures mashed up together is so yummy that I can’t stop eating them – not great for the diet. But heyyyyyy!

The chocolate chips make it fudgey and gooey and ideal for a treat – I tend to always use milk and white chocolate chips in my cookies and brownies, or all 3 types. The good thing is, you can use whatever flavour you want!!

When baking I recommend using dark chocolate that is 70% cocoa content or darker – and I tend to use 100% cocoa powder too. I find it deepens the flavour of the brownie or cookies to such a wonderful degree, so when you add in chocolate chips it gives the perfect sweetness.

You can of course just chop up some chocolate – you don’t have to buy actual chocolate chips. Personally I prefer smaller chunks of chocolate of chips as it means you get more bits per bite, whereas if you used large chunks of chocolate you may get a piece with barely any!! Kinda sad.

It may seem a little faffy to make them, but honestly it is not and it is worth it. The cookie recipe is basically a plain version of my Mini egg Cookie Bars – and it works a treat. The cornflour is in the recipe to create a DELICIOUS texture, but it is optional. You can use 25g more flour instead.

My Brownie layer in this is also a smaller version of my Triple Chocolate Brownies – as it is literally halved. I find using medium eggs is easier for this, as you often use 4 medium eggs in brownies, or 3 large, so using two medium makes more sense.

But seriously, these are delicious, and will help settle the battle of which to eat, cookies or brownies? Nah, just have Brookies. Always have both if you can have both.

This recipe was updated to just be a bit better – there aren’t major changes – but enough to warrant the change. It is now the same recipe as my Slutty Brownies, just without the oreos! All they are is the same with oreos added in anyway – so it made sense for the recipes to match.

I have however put the original ingredients list below if you wanted to make it – It followed the same method, it was just a slightly different recipe – so feel free to bake it if you liked it.

The original recipe before the update
The original cookie layer was – 115g Unsalted Butter, 50g Granulated Sugar, 75g Light Brown Sugar, 1 Large Egg, 1/2 tsp Vanilla Bean Extract, 125g Plain Flour, 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda, 1/2 tsp Baking Powder, 1/2 tsp Salt, 75g White Chocolate Chips, 75g Milk Chocolate Chunks

The original brownie layer was – 95g Dark Chocolate, 95g Unsalted Butter, 2 Large Eggs, 140g Caster Sugar, 50g Plain Flour, 20g Cocoa Powder, 50g White Chocolate Chips, 50g Milk Chocolate Chunks

I hope you love these delicious Brookies – any questions, leave them in the comments below! x

Brookies!

A delicious traybake of cookies and brownies in one!
4.67 from 18 votes

• 2 Medium Eggs
  • 140 g Caster Sugar
  • 50 g Plain Flour
  • 25 g Cocoa Powder
  • 150 g Milk Chocolate Chips

For the Cookie Layer

• Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy!
  • Add in the egg, and vanilla, and beat again till smooth.
  • Adding the flour, bicarbonate, salt and cornflour and beat until a cookie dough is formed!
  • Add in the chocolate chips, mix, and press into the bottom of a 9x9" Square Baking Tin, lined with parchment paper.
  • Freeze for 20 minutes!

For the Brownie Layer

• Preheat the oven to 180c/160C Fan.
  • Melt together your dark chocolate with your butter until smooth.
  • Whisk together the eggs and sugar into a thick mousse like mixture, and then fold through the melted chocolate mix.
  • Add in the flour, and cocoa powder, and fold through again.
  • Mix through the chocolate chips carefully and pour the batter onto the frozen cookie dough.
  • Bake the Brookies in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until baked through. Sometimes it can take a smidge longer! There should be a slight wobble to the mix.
  • Leave to cool in your tin for 10 minutes, and then carefully remove and finish cooling on a wire rack. If you want, you can then chill the bake in the fridge for 3 hours or so to help create the fudgey texture.
  • Cut up into your portions and enjoy!

• I think it's important to freeze the cookie dough, to help the brookies bake better. It is optional however! If you want, you can put the Cookie layer into the fridge for an hour instead of the freezer for 20 minutes!
  • The Cookie Layer is inspired by my Cookie bars, and the Brownie Layer is inspired by my Brownies
  • These will last for 4-5 days easily, if not longer if they aren't already eaten!
  • You can use whatever flavour chocolate chip you want!

Find my other Traybake Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Verity
    April 8, 2021 at 2:39 pm

Would this work if you made the cookie layer a red velvet cookie using your red velvet cookie recipe? Then chocolate brownie on top?

April 9, 2021 at 11:34 am

Hey! Yes it would!xx

• James Kassadin
    April 7, 2021 at 2:53 am

Hello jane, just wondering if i was to make these brookies in small cake tins like if they were a brookie pie, what would recommendation be for how long to bake and temperature? Thank you

April 9, 2021 at 12:02 pm

Hey! Unfortunately I have only tested the recipe for the tin in the recipe so I can’t help you with this I am afraid xx

• A
    March 30, 2021 at 7:12 am

Hiya!!!
    Could you switch the layers up.. have the brownie on bottom and cookie dough on top?

April 3, 2021 at 10:03 pm

Not really, because of the weight of the cookie dough x

• Emma
      April 10, 2021 at 1:54 pm

Yes, prepare it as the recipe states then turn it upside down when serving lol

• Mandy
    March 18, 2021 at 10:26 am

Made these last week for my colleagues on a hospital ward. We all deserved a treat and this was just what we needed. They are amazing and literally lasted seconds! I’ll be naming them again this week xx thanks.

• Dom
    March 13, 2021 at 8:37 pm

Hi, I made this last night, followed your recipe exactly (I think) and used a 9 x9 inch tin and baked for 30mins but brownie only just done but cookie layer was dry and cakey. Any suggestions as to what went wrong?

March 15, 2021 at 12:03 pm

Hello! It might be the heat distribution in your oven, but it may be worth lowering the temp and baking for longer instead!x

• Sarah
    March 4, 2021 at 10:15 pm

Can this be made into a “cookie pizza” Or have you another recipe you’d recommend for that. Thanks

• Eve Smith
    February 28, 2021 at 10:33 pm

My go to brookie recipe! If I were to make these red velvet how much less cocoa / more flour would I use? Thank you:)

March 3, 2021 at 9:11 pm

I assume you mean the brownie bit? I don’t use the same base as you will never get a ‘red’ colour from it (have a look at my red velvet brownie mix) x

• Amy
    February 25, 2021 at 4:49 pm

I did your cookie base with my brownie top (halved my usual recipe) and my cookie comes our overcooked everytime….. I do your cookie bars and they cooked in 17mins…. and yes I froze the cookie base for this…any idea why it over cooks so much… its in oven for about 30-8 5mins…brownie comes our perfect

February 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm

What tray do you bake them in? It may be that they getting too hot and baking for too long!

• Amanda
    February 16, 2021 at 10:40 am

I was thinking of making a rolo version. Would I used the rolo cookie bar recipe and the brownie recipe from this or would you recommend something different. Thank you!

February 16, 2021 at 8:15 pm

Yes its probably easiest to make the cookie bars rolo themed, and the brownie from this! x

• Katie Spencer
    February 10, 2021 at 10:15 am

Delicious – recipe worked great! I did find brownie slightly overpowering on cookie however, only reason not to score 5 star, but that maybe just personal taste! Would like to try again with a blondie on top instead…

• rebecca
    January 31, 2021 at 2:12 am

Hey!
    I made these yesterday, the brownie cooked perfect but the cookie didn’t seem to fully cook so when everything cooked and cooled when i went to slice. it was falling apart as the cookie wasn’t firm at all.
    What could i have done wrong?
    Still tasted great and love your recipes xx

February 1, 2021 at 10:15 am

Did you freeze it correctly before? x

• Demi Penfold
      February 2, 2021 at 11:15 pm

Hey Jane! Want to say I’m a huge fan of yours and your recipes have never failed me.
      However this one for some reason didn’t go as planned, the brownie tasted great but needed an extra 25 minutes before it was cooked ! That meant the cookie went slightly hard and was over powdered by the brownie. My oven was on the correct temp so not sure what happened.

Maybe I didn’t whisk the egg and sugar enough?

Thankyou will try again! Xx

February 3, 2021 at 10:24 am

What chocolate did you use for the base brownie mix?

• Charlotte McDonald
    January 29, 2021 at 10:27 am

Once baked and set for 3 hours in the fridge , should they then be stored in the fridge afterwards or not xx

• Kathryn Jane
    January 28, 2021 at 6:59 am

I made these last night but changed the tin to an 8” as the cookie dough barely covered the recommended 9” tin…. fantastic results with defined layers just like the image shown

• Charlotte Kay
    January 26, 2021 at 12:16 pm

Hi can you use a tray bake tin?

January 27, 2021 at 7:56 pm

It depends on the size, as tins volume vary a lot!

• Alex
    January 11, 2021 at 9:13 pm

Amazing! I wish I’d used white chocolate chips for the brownies, as yours look prettier! But there’s always next time

• Katrina Budesha
    December 21, 2020 at 9:22 pm

Hey jane love this recipe! Although my cookie layer doesn’t go as thick as urs does in the image is there a certain way to achieve this? I used the same size tin as u?

December 22, 2020 at 10:15 am

I just do exactly what is written in the recipe – but also I wouldn’t say a photo is the best comparison as it’ll never be the exact same every time! As long as it bakes okay it doesn’t matter.

• Jenna
    December 20, 2020 at 2:24 pm

My cookie dough is sticky when done what am I doing wrong 🤦🏻‍♀️

December 20, 2020 at 5:21 pm

Do you mean after its baked? It might just need a bit longer in the oven?

• Jenna
      December 20, 2020 at 5:59 pm

Sorry Jane, no when I’m making so before baking x

December 20, 2020 at 7:26 pm

Ah right, well it can be sometimes but it shouldn’t be super sticky. It could be the butter was too soft, or the egg too large so too much moisture. As long as you freeze it though still it should be fine x

• Ash
    December 11, 2020 at 11:39 pm

Hi! This looks amazing! How can I make the cookie base into a black cocoa base? Kind
    Of like the colour of triple chocolate cookies. And just out of interest what’s the difference if you make brownies with milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Thank you x

December 12, 2020 at 10:09 am

You can substitute 25-30g of flour for cocoa powder for the cookie, and you should never use milk chocolate for the base of the brownie mix. x

• Linda
    December 9, 2020 at 10:23 pm

Hi Jane, how long would you recommend baking in a 9×13 tin? I was planning on making 1.5 times the recipe? Ps you are incredibly talented, your recipes are all delicious

December 10, 2020 at 10:14 am

I’m really unsure I am afraid as I have never baked in that size before – but 1.5x is correct!

• Lynsey
    December 7, 2020 at 10:32 pm

OMG, I’ve made these 3 times so far & my work colleagues are loving them !!. Almost as much as my husband and kids do – in fact my Type 1 diabetic, 12 year old son says that it is worth having to take extra insulin because they taste soooooooo good. Love the fact they are so easy to make & have made them with chopped supermarket bar chocolate as well as the choc callet brand you recommend and they tasted equally delicious. Will certainly be making more to give as homemade Christmas gifts

• Rebecca
    November 21, 2020 at 11:27 am

If you wanted to do a Mars Bar version would you freeze the Mars bar?? And would you add the layer of Mars bar chopped or whole? Thank you!

November 21, 2020 at 12:29 pm

I would definitely freeze the mars bar because of the filling – I would personally chop the mars bar x

• Amy
    November 20, 2020 at 5:32 pm

Love this recipe so much, gets better each time! How would I go about making blonde brookies? Is it possible? Please don’t stop posting these delicious recipes Xx

November 20, 2020 at 8:14 pm

The theory is that you can use half of one of my blondie recipes (like this is half of the brownie) and try that!

• Victoria
    November 5, 2020 at 9:09 pm

Made these today for a treat for the kids lunchboxes… The husband can’t leave them alone 😂 I did have to leave them in the oven for longer but they are just the right amount of gooeyness! I shall certainly be making them again and trying more of your recipes!

• Holly
    November 5, 2020 at 11:43 am

can you use stork butter for these or does it have to be unsalted?

November 5, 2020 at 3:30 pm

Yes you can!

• Holly
      November 5, 2020 at 6:59 pm

Perfect, thank you lovely! Xx

• Vicki
    October 25, 2020 at 7:33 am

Recipe looks incredible and I’m going to try tomorrow.
    If I substitute the plain flour for gluten free flour will I need to adjust anything else?

October 25, 2020 at 8:46 pm

No it should be fine as long as everything else you use is GF safe!

• Sarah
    October 22, 2020 at 8:40 pm

Hey Jane,
    Planning to make these but I only have an 8 by 8” tin. Should i reduce the ingredients by an 1/8th or should i just go along with the original amount of ingredients?

Thanks x

October 22, 2020 at 8:48 pm

Volume wise the tin is actually about 1/5 smaller – so it would be best to reduce it if you can, or bake for longer and accept they may be a bit gooey in the middle haha!! x

• Imi
    October 22, 2020 at 10:15 am

Oh my goodness these are heaven!!! Literally so easy to make and so yummy!!

• Jacqueline
    October 13, 2020 at 9:15 pm

Great recipe idea. I Baked in an 8 inch pan for 40 minutes but the brownie was still a little raw in the middle. Is that normal? I think next time I’ll try not freezing the cookie dough. My oven, as far as other recipes go, appears to be perfect so I cant figure out what else might help it cook evenly

October 13, 2020 at 9:47 pm

It’s because you used a smaller tin than listed – the volume difference can cause a big problem. If you used the correct tin size it would be much better x

• Amrith
    October 13, 2020 at 8:54 pm

Just made these today, I’m not an avid baker but I had to make these lol.

I had an issue with my cookie dough not rising much, the brownie was perfect (according to my wife that is haha)

The cookie dough was quite flat, any idea what could be going wrong, I thought it could have been the tray I used… might be too big? I didn’t go out and buy a tray especially for this as wanted to keep costs low over this lockdown period lol, I had all the ingriedients in my pantry ☺️

October 13, 2020 at 9:04 pm

The cookie dough isn’t meant to rise much at all – so it’s probably just worked correctly, but if the tin was a different size, that could definitely change things!

• Jasmin
    October 2, 2020 at 8:18 pm

Just made these, and YUM, was just wondering if they Would freeze well once cooked? We love the lemon bars because we freeze them and have a constant stream of fresh bakes!

October 3, 2020 at 9:48 am

Yesss they can be!! So glad you like them!

• Beth
    September 30, 2020 at 10:37 am

I made these on Saturday and they were absolutely delicious! They might even be a new personal favourite! Just wondering, could you make these with a blondie layer on top instead and what measurementS would you recommend? Thank you x

• Leonie
    September 28, 2020 at 11:01 pm

Could I leave the cookie mix in the freezer over night and finish off tomorrow? Or would it be too frozen?

• Kay
    September 24, 2020 at 11:33 pm

I made these this evening, but my brownie layer just did not want to cook 😩 it ended up being in the oven for a long time which turned my cookie layer into more of a cakey layer. I mean they taste good but what am I doing wrong?

September 25, 2020 at 5:28 pm

Did you definitely use dark chocolate for the brownie mix – and then did you make sure you were careful when mixing it? Those two are very very key to it! x

• Sophie
    September 24, 2020 at 10:24 pm

Can these be made in a 7” tin? If so, do I halve the recipe? Does the baking time change?

September 25, 2020 at 5:29 pm

Yes – if you halve it it will take less time xx

• Siobhán
    September 16, 2020 at 5:25 pm

Just made these… they taste soooo good. The cookie recipe seemed to rise to and mix with the brownies. Don’t really mind too much cause the taste is AMAZING but have you any idea why this would happen?

September 16, 2020 at 7:11 pm

This can just happen sometimes – but it’s not a problem! xx

• Jennifer Challinor
    June 27, 2020 at 9:48 pm

I followed the recipe, but the cookie recipe rose to the top and didn’t cook after 40 mins (the brownie bit did). Didn’t stop us eating it as a pudding though 🙂

June 28, 2020 at 5:16 pm

Oh no! I’m glad they were yummy though – I will be updating this recipe soon, but my Slutty Brownies post is brookies with oreos in and is different so may be better for you!

• Sharon Woodhall
    February 19, 2020 at 6:06 pm

This is my second recipe of yours that I’ve tried and I’m so impressed how reliable they are. What always amuses me is that you give a shelf life on your recipes but they’re never around more than a day in our house! These turned out perfectly, and although I’m a bit of a brownie purist (if it ain’t broke) I will admit to enjoying these more than I wanted to. Thanks for sharing…now to choose what to bake next!

February 19, 2020 at 8:41 pm

Hahah I always have to put shelf lives juuuust in case – but they never last long for me either! So glad you liked them!

• Christine
    August 28, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Made these yesterday and they were delish!! Layers weren’t as defined but they still tasted amazing.

August 28, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Ohh I am so glad, Christine! Thank you for making them!!

• Denise Cobden
    April 28, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I made these today using Terrys chocolate Orange, Jane that’s your fault. They don’t have defined layers of cookies and brownies but if they taste great then hey ! so what. I haven’t tried them yet. I’ll try and upload a photo later

• Denise Cobden
      April 28, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Sorry didn’t mean to upload twice doh !

• Denise Cobden
    April 28, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Made these today, haven’t tasted them yet but they look delicious. Made mine with Terrys Choc Orange , Jane that’s your fault,. They took quite a while longer to cook, and I haven’t got a defined layer of cookie and brownie but hey if they taste ok I don’t mind. I’ll try and upload a photo later.

April 29, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Haha Terry’s is best!!

• Denise Cobden
      April 29, 2016 at 7:58 pm

They’ve all gone my husband took them to work and they didn’t last long at all !

May 2, 2016 at 9:10 am

Ahh amazing!!

• Adriana
    April 22, 2016 at 11:42 am

OMG… That’s all that comes to mind. I´m dying because I don’t have one right now. Amazing!

April 22, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Hahaha I wish I could send you some! Thank you!