Mint Chocolate Cupcakes!

Minty & Delicious Chocolate Chip Cupcakes, topped with a Mint Buttercream and Mint Aero Bubbles make seriously yummy Mint Chocolate Cupcakes!

I have aaaaalways loved Chocolate, and Cupcakes, and Minty things… so this combination seemed perfect. And it definitely was! I love using Mint in Buttercream and in Sponge mixes as it makes it a subtle yet perfect amount of flavour.. and the extra crunch almost of the chocolate chips is seriously delicious.

This is another request made by my Facebook followers, and I am so glad that it was asked for – I lovelovelove these cupcakes and I hope they go down well with you guys too!

Cupcakes are those treats that satisfy my need for cake perfectly. I admit that Mint & Chocolate is more of a Christmassy combination, but I like this sort of thing anytime of the year – just because its July doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy something Christmas like! The minty success of my Mint Slice means I have to do another Minty recipe! And anyway, somebody asks for a recipe, I have to comply right?! Right?

Recipe updated May 2017! Only difference is using Light Brown Sugar in the sponge, dark chocolate chips, and changing the decoration ever so slightly!

This recipe makes 12 cupcakes!

Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

– 150g Butter, room temperature
– 300g Icing Sugar
– 1-2tsp Peppermint Essence
Green Progel Colouring
– Sprinkles
– Mint Aero Bubbles

1) For the Cupcakes – Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan and line a tray with 12 Regular Baking Cups from Iced Jems.

2) With a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy – I do this for 3-4 minutes so its super smooth and light – this makes it a moist recipe, and very light too!

3) Add the self-raising flour, cocoa powder, eggs, peppermint essence and vanilla extract and beat again – try not to over-mix however as it’ll make the cupcakes not so light & fluffy.

4) Fold through the chocolate chips and pour into the Cupcake Cases (I use an ice cream scoop so its even across all of the cupcakes!) Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through! Once baked leave to cool.

5) For the Buttercream – Beat the icing sugar until smooth and supple for 3-4 minutes, gradually add the icing sugar until a buttercream is formed. Add the peppermint essence & green food colouring to the colour you want and beat for at least 5-8 minutes or so until its smooth and fluffy!

6) To Decorate the Cupcakes – Pipe onto your cupcakes with your favourite nozzle – I used a 2d Closed Star Piping Tip – definitely one of my favourites!

7) Add on some Mint Aero Bubbles, and some of your favourite sprinkles!

I used Green Progel Colouring for my food colouring.
I used Regular Baking Cups from Iced Jems for my baking cases!
I used a 2d Closed Star Piping Tip for the decorating!

These cupcakes will last in an Airtight Container for 3 days!

If you’re not a massive fan of mint then use less if you like, or more if you want too – its entirely up to you! I just find the amount I used was tiptop perfect!

You can also use Milk/Dark/White chocolate chips in the sponge, but I was in the mood for dark!

Find my other Cupcake Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Tam
    July 26, 2020 at 5:30 pm

Do you use a muffin baking tray to make these? Could you leave a link for the tray?

July 26, 2020 at 5:44 pm

For the baking cups you just use a flat tray – but otherwise I usually use a muffin/large cupcake tray for regular cases!

• Lyndsay
    June 28, 2020 at 8:50 pm

Hiya love these cupcakes thank you! Do you know when the cupcake cups will be available again form iced gems?

June 29, 2020 at 8:33 am

I’m afraid I can’t help with that, sorry!

• Chanelle
    June 24, 2020 at 12:19 pm

I have just made these and they tastes amazing!!!! They only thing is sometimes on some of the cupcakes the casing comes away from the sponge? I have just used normal muffin cases and not the cups? Do you know why this is?

June 24, 2020 at 12:55 pm

That can happen sometimes due to the cupcakes not being baked for long enough so the moisture makes them come away, or because the cases are poor quality! xx

• Chanelle Cooper
      June 24, 2020 at 2:28 pm

Yes that makes sense I’ll look out for this next time! Thank you!!

• Olivia
    June 6, 2020 at 11:46 am

Hi!!! Look amazing… trying them this weekend… could you put a couple of the mint aero balls or bits or bits of mint aero bar (frozen beforehand) in the sponge mix instead of chocolate chips?
    Thank you!!

June 6, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Hey! You can, but aero tends to melt a bit more than chips I find sometimes, but it should be fine!!

• Olivia
      June 6, 2020 at 12:07 pm

Amazing -thank you!! Will let you know how I get on and tag you on Insta if it works 😂😂
      Take care x

• Em
    May 1, 2020 at 10:02 pm

Can I ask how you work out how and why you alter your sponge recipes, they differ on a lot of your cupcakes?

May 2, 2020 at 9:55 am

They differ because I like to show lots of different ways of making things – also it can depend on flavour, egg size, etc!

• JULIE
    February 27, 2020 at 11:46 pm

Hi – I was wondering how you get your cupcake cases to stay so “green”. When I use fancy cupcake cases they discolour in the cooking process. Do you perhaps bake in plain cases and then put them in the fancy ones once cooled?

February 28, 2020 at 10:07 am

These baking cups never fade or discolour!

• Lynda Waghorn
    December 5, 2019 at 9:48 pm

Hi could I use these measures for a sandwich cake? Thank you

• BertaB
    September 10, 2019 at 12:09 pm

Great recipe! Decorated them with after eights and they went down a treat 😊

• Kelly Davies
    August 27, 2019 at 9:00 pm

My friends all loved these. I’d made your mint aero cake for my friend’s birthday last week, it was a huge success as she is a Mint Aero fiend and just can’t get enough of the bubbles. Not fancying making a big cake each time, I found these. They were all gone in less than a day. I made a slight addition, as I used two-tone icing: a mixture of the green mint and a minted dark chocolate frosting too. I wanted to add a dark chocolate element to them, a bit like the drizzle on the cake to cut the sweetness. They looked so lush and tasted fab with the twist! Thanks for your recipes. x

• […] buns went down a friggin’ treat in my house (and my Granny’s house) and I used >>this<< recipe right here. I manage to make 15 (pretty large) cupcakes from this so you can sweeten […]

• Nancy
    November 26, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Do you think this would work well as a traybake? I’m a bit lazy/untalented when it comes to decorating.

• Judith Swanston
    October 18, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Got everything ready to make them this afternoon. Just love your recipes, so easy to follow and sooooo delicious.

• Darlene
    September 21, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Hi I live in the states and we don’t use metric system it would be nice if the recipe would have the cup translation and oven temp in fahrenheit thank you love your videos Darlene

September 22, 2017 at 9:52 am

Hiya – I work in the metric system as I am in the UK and I find Cup measurements unreliable. You can find tips to translate the recipe on my helpful tips page, or google it ?

• Claire | Art and Soul
    July 30, 2015 at 8:34 pm

I was thinking of doing to mint choc version of millionaires’ shortbread when these popped up – they look amazing (as usual).
    In other news, I’ve nominated you for the Starlight Blogger Award. You just have to answer 3 questions and pass the award on. Check it out here: http://clairehuston.wordpress.com/2015/07/30/starlight-blogger-award/
    Please ignore me if you’ve already received this award or simply don’t have time. I understand. I’m really bad at writing these sorts of posts! 🙂

July 30, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Awwh haha thank you! 🙂 and thank you again – I shall have a looksie xx

• Amber
    July 29, 2015 at 8:41 pm

I really should try this at some point. I’ve made candy cane cakepops for Christmas last year and everyone loved them so I bet these cupcakes will taste amazing as well and they look so pretty!

July 29, 2015 at 10:50 pm

Thank you so much! And please do, mint & chocolate is a marriage made in heaven!

• Maricela
    July 29, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Mint and chocolate is always a good idea! Thank you so much for this recipe! 🙂 I will definitely be trying it out when I can because I agree that this is good anytime of the year.

July 29, 2015 at 4:21 pm

It really is isn’t it, so yummy! And its okay, please do!!

• chris
    July 29, 2015 at 3:30 pm

OMG I need to make these this weekend. I love mint chocolate chip anything and everything, and these look so delicious! Where do you buy the peppermint essence?

July 29, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Thank you!! 🙂 Im from the UK so I buy them in the supermarket, same isle as the vanilla essence 🙂 x

• chris
      July 29, 2015 at 5:15 pm

I’ll have to check my supermarket and see if they have it. I hope they do! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

July 29, 2015 at 5:16 pm

I’m sure you will be able to find it! 🙂 And its okay!

• Linda
    July 29, 2015 at 2:47 pm

My son’s favorite flavor…mint chocolate chip! (So, no, in our house it doesn’t have to be Christmas to enjoy them!!) 🙂

July 29, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Such a yummy flavour isn’t it! and yay, not just me then! 🙂

• MealsWithMel
    July 29, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Yum! I love mint chocolate chip everything.

• juliemason5
    July 29, 2015 at 11:48 am

These look so delicious! Loving photos as well.

• smilecirculation