*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Minty & delicious chocolate chip cupcakes, topped with a mint buttercream and mint aero bubbles make seriously yummy mint chocolate cupcakes!
Chocolate and mint
I have aaaaalways loved chocolate, and cupcakes, and minty things… so this combination seemed perfect – and it definitely was! I love using mint in buttercream and in sponge mixes as it makes it a subtle yet perfect amount of flavour and the extra crunch of the chocolate chips is seriously delicious.
Whilst we are talking all things chocolate and minty – I went a little mad with some mint aero but my word, the minty chocolately delightness that has been created is just too good. First I started with a mint aero cheesecake and then some mint aero NYC cookies. However, you will also find some mint aero rocky road, mint aero brownies and some mint aero fudge – see, only went a ‘little’ mad.
This is another request made by my facebook followers, and I am so glad that it was asked for – I love love love these cupcakes and I hope they go down well with you guys too! Somebody asks for a recipe, I have to comply right?! Right? Well I have definitely complied with the minty chocolate brief here.
Cupcakes are those treats that satisfy my need for cake perfectly. I admit that mint and chocolate is more of a wintery and christmassy combination, but I like this sort of thing anytime of the year – just because its July doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy something cosy!
The chocolate chip sponge with the added peppermint essence is the perfect flavour combination, especially with the addition of dark chocolate chips too. It makes the cupcakes even more indulgent but also adds a lovely texture to the bake to marry with the flavour perfectly!
For my mint aero cupcakes buttercream, you must use BLOCK BUTTER – I can not shout this enough! I also added some peppermint essence to my buttercream as I love tasting the mint in every bite of cupcake. If this is too much for you though you can always leave it out. I also coloured my buttercream a minty green colour as I was sticking to a theme here!
As always, make the bake you own and add whatever decoration you wish! I use some Mint Aero bubbles along with some chocolate sprinkles. I also crushed some of the Mint Aero bubbles to create some dusting for my cupcakes and even more minty goodness!
You can leave the decoration plain or go all out with drizzle, chocolate and more – it really is up to you! I hope you enjoy these cupcakes as much as I did – they really are delicious!
Recipe updated May 2017! Only difference is using light brown sugar in the sponge, dark chocolate chips, and changing the decoration ever so slightly!
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes!
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- 150 g unsalted butter (room temp)
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 125 g self raising flour
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp peppermint essence
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g dark chocolate chips
- 150 g unsalted butter room temp
- 300 g icing sugar
- 1-2 tsp peppermint essence
- Progel 'green' colouring
- Mint Aero Bubbles
- With a stand mixer, beat together the unsalted butter and light brown sugar until light and fluffy – I do this for 3-4 minutes so its super smooth and light as this makes it a moist recipe, and very light too!
- Add the self-raising flour, cocoa powder, medium eggs, peppermint essence and vanilla extract and beat again - try not to over mix though as it'll make the cupcakes not so light & fluffy.
- Fold through the chocolate chips and pour into the cupcake cases (I use an ice cream scoop so its even across all of the cupcakes!)
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through
- Once baked leave to cool
- Beat the butter until smooth and supple for 3-4 minutes
- Gradually add the icing sugar until buttercream is formed
- Add the peppermint essence and Progel green food colouring to the colour you want and beat for at least 5-8 minutes or so until its smooth and fluffy
- Pipe onto your cupcakes with your favourite nozzle – I used a 2d closed star piping tip – definitely one of my favourites!
- Add on some Mint Aero Bubbles and some of your favourite sprinkles
Find my other recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.