*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Minty & delicious chocolate chip cupcakes, topped with a mint buttercream and mint aero bubbles make seriously yummy mint chocolate cupcakes!
I have aaaaalways loved chocolate, and cupcakes, and minty things… so this combination seemed perfect – and it definitely was! I love using mint in buttercream and in sponge mixes as it makes it a subtle yet perfect amount of flavour and the extra crunch of the chocolate chips is seriously delicious.
This is another request made by my facebook followers, and I am so glad that it was asked for – I love love love these cupcakes and I hope they go down well with you guys too!
Cupcakes are those treats that satisfy my need for cake perfectly. I admit that mint and chocolate is more of a wintery and christmassy combination, but I like this sort of thing anytime of the year – just because its July doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy something cosy!
The minty success of my mint slice means I have to do another minty recipe! And anyway, somebody asks for a recipe, I have to comply right?! Right? Well I have definitely complied with the minty chocolate brief here.
Whilst we are talking all things chocolate and minty – I went a little mad with some mint aero but my word, the minty chocolately delightness that has been created is just too good. First I started with a mint aero cheesecake and then some mint aero NYC cookies. However, you will also find some mint aero rocky road, mint aero brownies and some mint aero fudge – see, only went a ‘little’ mad.
Recipe updated May 2017! Only difference is using Light Brown Sugar in the sponge, dark chocolate chips, and changing the decoration ever so slightly!
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes1
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- 150 g unsalted butter (room temp)
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 125 g self raising flour
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp peppermint essence
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g dark chocolate chips
- 150 g unsalted butter room temp
- 300 g icing sugar
- 1-2 tsp peppermint essence
- Progel 'green' colouring
- Mint Aero Bubbles
- With a stand mixer, beat together the unsalted butter and light brown sugar until light and fluffy – I do this for 3-4 minutes so its super smooth and light as this makes it a moist recipe, and very light too!
- Add the self-raising flour, cocoa powder, medium eggs, peppermint essence and vanilla extract and beat again - try not to over mix though as it'll make the cupcakes not so light & fluffy.
- Fold through the chocolate chips and pour into the cupcake cases (I use an ice cream scoop so its even across all of the cupcakes!)
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through
- Once baked leave to cool
- Beat the icing sugar until smooth and supple for 3-4 minutes
- Gradually add the icing sugar until buttercream is formed
- Add the peppermint essence and Progel green food colouring to the colour you want and beat for at least 5-8 minutes or so until its smooth and fluffy
- Pipe onto your cupcakes with your favourite nozzle – I used a 2d closed star piping tip – definitely one of my favourites!
- Add on some Mint Aero Bubbles and some of your favourite sprinkles