Easy Vanilla Cupcakes!

A staple for any recipe book – Delicious, Moist & Light Vanilla Cupcakes with a Creamy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting!

I love cupcakes and I love all different sorts of flavours and decorations, but I realised that I had never posted my Easy Vanilla Cupcake recipe with pictures and method! Shock & Horror!! This obviously had to change very rapidly, so here it is!

Back to basics is always a risk with blogging in my opinion as there are sooooo many recipes out there already for the same thing and some people might think to not bother looking and some random blog like mine – but I feel like that my readers and new readers yet to come might like to see my method, see my recipe, and see what I do for even the most basic of bakes!

These cupcakes are always a hit with anybody who eats them, doesn’t matter what age or gender, normal vanilla cupcakes absolutely rule all! Along with my Chocolate Cupcakes recipe, I have used these for years and have never changed them – they’re absolutely failproof in my eyes! (And they’re super addictive – I always want vanilla cupcakes when Im hungry!)! A few months ago for easter I posted a recipe for my Easter Nest Cupcakes and they were a delightful hit – they are also just vanilla, but the method is obviously slightly extended with all of the decoration!

I love basic baking, and these are definitely perfect for that. Delicious moist cupcakes with a hint of vanilla, dolloped and piped with a tonne of delicious creamy Vanilla Frosting = heaven. Enjoy!

This recipe makes 12 cupcakes!

Cupcakes
– 150g Unsalted Butter, Softened
– 150g Caster Sugar
– 3 Medium Free Range Eggs, beaten
– 150g Self Raising Flour
– 1/2tsp Vanilla Extract
– 2tbsp Whole Milk

Vanilla Frosting
– 150g Unsalted Butter, Softened
– 350g Icing Sugar
– 2-4tbsp Whole Milk/Double Cream
– 1/2tsp Vanilla Extract

Decoration
– Oodles of Sprinkles

1) Preheat your oven to 170C/160CFan and Line a 12 Hole Muffin Tray with Large Cupcake Cases/Muffin Cases

2) Cream together the Butter and Caster Sugar with an electric beater till smooth – add in the Beaten Eggs, Flour, and Vanilla and beat again for about about 20-30 seconds on a Medium Speed – it really doesn’t take too long, you don’t want to overheat it!.

3) Once combined it might still be a little stiff, so loosen with the Whole Milk – using Whole Milk is important as lower fat milks might make the mixture split slightly! 🙂

4) Spoon into your Cases and Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through! Leave to cool on a wire rack.

5) Once the cakes are cool, make the frosting – beat the softened Butter until smooth – this can take a couple of minutes. Add in the Icing Sugar 1/3 at a time, making sure the sugar is fully incorporated until moving on! I use my KitchenAid for Frostings as the machine can make it so much lighter and fluffier!

6) Once all of the Sugar is in the Frosting mix, keep on beating the Frosting but add the Vanilla, and then the Milk/Cream 1 tbsp at a time till you reach your desired consistency! I usually use about 3 spoonfuls!

7) Decorate your cupcakes how you like (I use lots and lots of sprinkles!) – and ENJOY!

These Cupcakes are delicious how they are – but you can jazz them up a bit with some chocolate chips – 100g will do nicely!

These Cupcakes will last in an airtight container for 2-3 days!

Find my other Cupcake Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Sharon Thompson
    May 24, 2020 at 4:09 pm

HI Jane, when you say ‘cream the butter and sugar until smooth’ is that just a short 30 second mix on a medium/high speed or longer to achieve something more light and fluffy? I tried this recipe with Stork today and they tasted like Stork- a bit salty and synthetic – eww! The mix wasn’t very thick and didn’t fill my cupcake cases as much as I expected (I weighed my ingredients carefully) TIA x.

May 24, 2020 at 5:46 pm

I mix them together till they’re smooth and creamy/fluffy! Its usually about 30-60 seconds or so! I nearly always use stork for cakes and have never had a funny taste! There’s no reason why the mixture shouldn’t be a thick cake mixture like normal though?! x

• Jodie
    May 22, 2020 at 4:08 pm

Hi Jane!! I love your blog! Just wondering if these cupcakes would be suitable for someone with a nut allergy?

May 22, 2020 at 7:50 pm

You need to check every ingredient label yourself, that isn’t something I can answer!

• Vicki
    May 19, 2020 at 8:59 pm

I’ve made these today, they took about 40 minutes to cook and have come out dry. Any idea where i might have gone wrong? Followed the recipe amounts and technique fully, fan oven at 160 prewarmed. Going to have another go tomorrow but wondering what it is that hasn’t worked today to try to fix it with the next batch!

May 20, 2020 at 9:24 am

There is no way that they should have taken so long, the dryness comes from being over baked. Stick to the advised times and they’ll be fine!

• Cassie
    May 18, 2020 at 1:27 pm

Hi Jane.
    These are delicious 😋 I need to make just a small batch of 6 cupcakes- would you suggest halving the recipe amounts? Also how many eggs would you use?
    If it’s not feasible I will just make the full 12. Thank you.

May 18, 2020 at 1:29 pm

Hey! So the best thing to do is to make 4, 8 or 12 – as it makes it easier with the eggs! Use 1/3 of the mix for 4, or 2/3 of the mix for 8!

• Rachael Shaw
    May 16, 2020 at 2:20 pm

Which vanilla extract would you recommend? I’m running low and wondered if I’d find a good one online

• Helen
    May 10, 2020 at 11:21 am

Hi Jane! I’m so happy to have come across your page. These were the best cupcakes I’ve ever made! Absolutely delicious and so light! Thank you. I’ve also made your biscoff tray bake this week which my husband took into work and they went down a storm. Can’t wait to try something new, struggling to get supplies in at the moment with lockdown! Thanks again! Xx

• Jane
    May 4, 2020 at 10:42 pm

Yum! 5th recipe I’ve made from your site, all delicious, thanks for sharing 😀

• Natalie
    March 10, 2020 at 2:31 pm

Have just baked these and they look great! Only thing however is that mine have came away from the cases, do you know what usually causes this happen?

March 10, 2020 at 9:52 pm

Sometimes that can happen when the cake isn’t quite baked enough, or they’re kept in a warm environment so they essentially sweat and peel!

• Lauren
    September 28, 2019 at 8:37 pm

Can I use stork for these instead of unsalted butter? Thankyou xx

September 28, 2019 at 9:03 pm

Only for the sponge, never ever for buttercream.

• Nadia Dogan
      May 8, 2020 at 4:55 pm

I used Stork for buttercream! Is that really bad??

May 9, 2020 at 8:51 am

In my opinion, you need to use actual butter and not a spread for buttercream.

• Chandra Persaud
    June 28, 2019 at 9:50 pm

How much do the medium eggs weigh? And are the eggs added a little at a time before the dry ingredients or eggs and dry ingredients are mixed in together at the same time?

June 28, 2019 at 10:18 pm

They are just the medium egg size available at the supermarket – I use three as the recipe says. And I add the flour, eggs and vanilla in at the same time, as the recipe says.

• Nicola
    June 10, 2019 at 12:28 pm

I came across your site Yesterday and found these vanilla cupcake they looked really good so I followed the recipe step by step and they were perfect the best cupcakes I have ever made so I had to let you know . Thank you for sharing I think I will be spending a lot of time on this site

• Maxine Cope
    June 5, 2019 at 9:13 pm

Hi Jane I’ve just made these cupcakes and although they taste delicious they’ve shrunk 😔. I needed to make 24 so I doubled the mixture however I only had large eggs so I used 5 instead of 6. Could this be the reason?

June 6, 2019 at 9:24 am

Do you mean they caved in the middle? It could be the eggs, or they were finished baking yet!

• Nuha
    March 24, 2019 at 7:20 pm

Hi Jane I have made these cupcakes so many times now absolutely perfect every time thanks …
    I need to make 24 of these would I just double the recipe or is it better to make them separate batches ?

March 24, 2019 at 7:21 pm

You can get away with doubled easily – it’s only if you wanted to triple/quadruple I’d suggest breaking it down xx

• Blaithin
    February 12, 2019 at 6:43 pm

If I wanted to make this into a four layer cake would I just multiple all ingredients by 4? Thanks so much, love all your recipes.
    Blaithin X

February 12, 2019 at 6:59 pm

That would would for 8″ size tins, and would still be quite tall! x

• Bibi
    January 28, 2019 at 10:36 am

Hi these cupcakes are so delicious 😋I can’t describe them how delicious they are.I have tried so many cupcakes recipes none of them taste as good as these. I’ll will be trying some more of you’re recipes soon.keep up with the good work 😘

• Carmen
    September 25, 2018 at 1:57 pm

What quantities would you use if you wanted to make this into a layered celebration/birthday cake? I love these cupcakes and haven’t been able to find a nice vanilla cake recipe?

September 25, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Hiya! You can either use this (each cupcake batch makes one good 8″ layer), or my victoria sponge recipe with a smidge more vanilla in to make things easier!

• Runa
    September 19, 2018 at 6:34 am

Hi Jane, would it be possible to freeze these cupcakes?

• Jade
    August 2, 2018 at 7:53 pm

Can I use baking cups instead of cupcake cases with this recipe or would I need to use different measurements? I prefer baking cups – I used them for your custard cream cupcake recipe. 💞

• Zahra
    May 8, 2018 at 5:55 pm

The texture is to die for. Thanks sm 💕🦄

• Lynne Wade
    May 5, 2018 at 2:20 pm

I made these last week, I can honestly say they are the best vanilla cupcakes I’ve ever made! Thank you Jane, 😊

• […] cupcakes themselves are based around my Easy Vanilla Cupcakes recipe which I posted a few months ago – many of you have it as you staple Vanilla Cupcake […]

• Becky Gonzalez
    January 24, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Hi, im due to make these im a few days time for a baby shower. What tastes best in the buttercream, milk or cream??
    Thanks x

January 25, 2018 at 2:30 pm

It honestly doesn’t matter really, but the cream does give it a creamier texture.

• Jessica
    January 18, 2018 at 9:54 pm

Hi Jane, I’m making these for a charity event and I’ve been asked to make the buttercream bright red, what’s the best way to colour buttercream? Ps made the funfetti cupcakes a few days ago and they went down a TREAT! Thanks for great recipes xx

January 20, 2018 at 8:04 pm

With a really good food colouring such as sugar flair red extra! Worth the extra money.

• Josephine
    November 27, 2017 at 6:37 pm

I only have large eggs. How many will i use?

November 27, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Use 3, but up the other ingredients to 175g each.

• Funfetti Cupcakes | whoisclareanyway
    September 6, 2016 at 6:28 pm

[…] from work, so decided to bake up some yummy funfetti cupcakes. I followed Jane Patisserie’s Easy Vanilla Cupcake recipe and I thought I would show you all how they turned […]

• […] From Jane’s Patisserie […]

• LocknessDIY
    October 12, 2015 at 11:44 am

Great recipe with really pretty results!

• natashalesley
    October 12, 2015 at 11:32 am

I love a vanilla cupcake!

• Becky's Biscuit Bases