*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
An Easy and Delicious Toffee Apple Loaf Cake with a Brown Sugar Apple Sponge, Toffee Buttercream Frosting, Toffee Popcorn and Toffee Sauce!
It’s the beginning of November, and I thought it was the perfect time to slip in another Apple related bake before Bonfire Night, and why not just make it Toffee themed as well?! It’s gooey, it’s delicious, and oh so tasty!
I love a good apple themed bake – we all know this from my Apple Crumble Cake, and my Caramel Apple Crumble Pie… but I have recently got into loaf cakes. After the downright crazy successes of my White Chocolate & Raspberry Loaf Cake, and my Sticky Toffee Loaf Cake, I thought another would be ideal!
And oh my days… this is delicious. It’s essentially just a loaf cake version of my Toffee Apple Cake, but as you are all demanding as many more loafs cakes as you can get out of me, I thought this was the perfect time of year to post this one!
I kept this recipe as simple as possible to really bring out the apple flavour, but also have the sweetness in there of the toffee. I didn’t add any cinnamon to this one, as partly I didn’t have any cinnamon in the cupboard, and also… I don’t want to add cinnamon to every apple bake I make.
I stuck to my baking ideals here and used the same loaf tin as in my other recipes, as I really do find it the perfect size. For reference its 24.4 x 14.4 x 6.9 cm in size – and I say this in detail because loaf tins really can vary SO much, even if they’re all called 2lb.
The sponge itself is easy to make, and I decided to use dark brown sugar this time to give it that darker and more toffee like flavour naturally (you can use light brown sugar, or even caster sugar if you prefer) and I LOVED it!
I use dark brown sugar when I make homemade toffee sauce so it’s ideal to use it in a sponge like this too! The apple mixture itself is purely apples chopped up and stirred with some sugar, and then folded in the cake mixture – so it’s nice and simple!
For the Buttercream, I went really simple and similar again to my Toffee Apple Cake, and just did a basic American buttercream style frosting with Toffee Sauce. For ease and quickness I used shop bought toffee sauce for this one, but you can find a delicious homemade sauce on this recipe!
For decoration I wasn’t really sure what to do, as I didn’t want to use apples again, and didn’t have many delicious items in the cupboard… but in the end, using toffee popcorn and fudge sprinkles was ideal!
I love the look of the popcorn on top, the little pops of fudge flavour from the sprinkles, and with an extra drizzle of sauce it’s the perfect accompaniment to the cake flavouring! You can of course decorate the cake however you please as I know some people don’t like popcorn – but that’s up to you!
I used my trusty 2D closed star piping tip to decorate this, along with the 2lb loaf tin that I will always recommend – In general for a cake like this you can easily drizzle the toffee sauce on with a spoon, or the bottle if it’s shop bought – but I do love these piping bags for the buttercream.
I hope you love this autumnal recipe as much as I do, and that you had a wonderful Halloween! Enjoyyyyyyy!! x
Toffee Apple Loaf Cake!
- 250 g Unsalted Butter/Stork
- 250 g Dark Brown Sugar (plus 20g)
- 250 g Self Raising Flour
- 5 Medium Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 200 g Cooking Apple (peeled & chopped weight)
- 125 g Unsalted Butter (not stork)
- 250 g Icing Sugar
- 65 g Toffee Sauce
- Toffee Sauce
- Toffee Popcorn
- Fudge Sprinkles
For the Cake
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan, and line a 2lb loaf tin with parchment paper!
- Peel and chop your Apple - I used one large Apple, but make sure to get an Apple about 275g in size to get the correct chopped amount!
- I chop the Apple into 1-2cm size pieces! Add 20g of Dark Sugar into the apple, and mix together!
- In a stand mixer, add your Butter and the Dark Sugar and beat till smooth.
- Add in the Flour, Eggs and Vanilla and beat again till lovely and smooth!
- Mix the Apple into the cake mixture with a spatula, and pour into the tin!
- Bake the cake in the oven for 50-60+ minutes!
For the Buttercream
- Make sure your butter is at room temperature!
- Beat the butter on it's own for a few minutes to make it supple!
- Add in the icing sugar again and beat again till a smooth buttercream is made!
- Add in your toffee sauce, and beat again!
For the Decoration
- Pipe your buttercream onto your cake however you want - I used a 2d piping tip and piped from side to side to cover the top!
- Decorate with whatever you fancy - I used some toffee popcorn, and some fudge sprinkles!
- This cake will last for 3 days once made!
- I recommend using Bramley Apples!
- I use this lovely 2lb loaf tin for this cake and it fits perfectly!
- Sometimes because of the apple the cake can take a smidge longer to bake, but don't freak out... some ovens are the wrong temp without you even knowing!
Find my other Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.