*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Deliciously spooky spider NYC Cookies with milk and dark chocolate chips, and Rolo chocolate spiders!
Can we appreciate these for a second? They’re not spooky or scary at all… they are in fact just utterly delicious cookies that I am totally in love with.
These cookies are giant, chunky, chocolatey and SPOOKALICIOUS! Yes that’s right, spookalicious.
Oh yes, that’s right… Halloween baking time. I will say that I have always been a little slack in the halloween baking department, so this year I wanted to start with a bang and do an insanely popular request of a bake… Spider NYC Cookies!
It’s quite easy to see that they are just my regular NYC Cookies with slightly subpar ‘spiders’ on top, but I love that. They’re easy, spookalicious and I want to eat the entire batch.
So these cookies are INSANE and amazing. They are NYC style cookies so that means they are giant, delicious and gooey. They are big, and they are meant to be big. IF you wanted to make smaller cookies, I’m sorry.. but they’re not New York cookies any more.
The cookie dough works so wonderfully so thats why I used the same base recipe as my classic NYC chocolate chip cookies. This post is just meant to be about inspiration for a halloween bake, so the actual cookie doesn’t matter.
For these cookies, just like the classics, I used a mixture of milk chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips. I just adore the combination of the slightly sweeter and slightly bitter chocolates together.
Just like with any other cookie really, you can use other chocolates and combinations. White, milk, dark, flavoured and so on – they all work well!
I did then use the chocolate to melt and make the legs of the spiders, which I can appreciate I haven’t done very well, but it was meant to be a bit of fun.
Once the cookies are out of the oven I let them cool ever so slightly and then I press in my Rolos for the body of the spiders. You can use whatever you want for the body of the spider that you like – you could even just one Rolo, or a little Rolo and a regular Rolo… it’s up to you!
I decided on using two as I wanted a head and a body, but I wanted to fit the edible eyes onto the spiders. However, you could use:
- peanut butter cups
- mini oreos
The legs were melted chocolate piped onto the cookies after the Rolos had been stuck in. However, you could also use:
- sweet laces
Tips and Tricks
For these cookies, it really is similar to all my other cookies – chilling the dough gets the best results and I really wouldn’t recommend skipping this step.
It’s important to have fun with the decoration of these spider NYC Cookies – they’re spookalicious and I know you will all love them!
You can prep the dough and freeze before baking – the frozen cookie dough lasts for about 3+ months
Spider NYC Cookies!
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 75 g white granulated sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional!)
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 + 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 300 g chocolate chips (150g dark, 150g milk)
- 16 Rolos
- 35 g melted chocolate
- 16 edible eyes
- Add the butter and sugars to a bowl and beat until creamy
- Add in the egg and vanilla and beat again.
- Add in the plain flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt and beat until a cookie dough is formed!
- Add in the chocolate chips and beat until distributed well!
- Weigh your cookies out into eight cookie dough balls - they're about 120g each
- Once they're rolled into balls, put your cookie dough in the freezer for at least 30 minutes, or in the fridge for an hour or so!
- Whilst the cookie dough is chilling, preheat your oven to 180C Fan, or 200C regular!
- Take your cookies out of the freezer/fridge and put onto a lined baking tray. I put four cookies per tray!
- Bake the cookies in the oven for 11-13 minutes.
- Once baked, leave them to cool on the tray for 5 minutes, and then press two Rolos into the cookies next to each other.
- Let the cookies cool for at least 30 minutes, as they will continue to bake whilst cooling!
- Pipe melted chocolate legs onto the spider NYC Cookies and add edible eyes with some melted chocolate for glue. Let the chocolate set and enjoy!
- These are best eaten on the day of baking, but can be revived by microwaving for 15-30 seconds, or putting into a hot oven for 2-3 minutes!
- Once baked, these will last for 4-5+ days!
- You can use any chocolate you fancy, I just love the combination of milk and dark chocolate!
- You can use chocolate bars chopped up instead of chocolate chips, just make sure the chunks aren't too big!
- I use this dark chocolate in my baking!
- And I use this milk chocolate in my baking!
- If you want a lovely texture - you can add in 1 level tbsp of cornflour, and take out 25g of the flour!
Find my other recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.